Rapid gill flapping - cause for alarm?

akanarek

Reaction score
Country
United States
Three of my axolotls are rapidly flapping their gills, about once every 2-3 seconds. They're juveniles, hatched in mid-February. I've read in another post on this forum that rapid gill flapping may indicate severe disease, but these three all appear to be healthy. Gills are at about 60 degrees relative to their backs, appetites are good, no tail curling, good coloration, no sign of injury or infection. Water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate, water temperature 69 degrees F. There are two other axolotls in this tank that are not exhibiting this behavior.

Could this behavior result from axolotl indigestion? At least one of the gill flappers consumed an entire cube of frozen bloodworms this afternoon. However, another one of the gill flappers is currently roaming the tank, eating stray bloodworms left over from the recent feeding.

Is this gill flapping necessarily indicative of something very serious, or should I just wait it out and see if they stop doing it?

Sorry.. it has been like 2 weeks since anyone has responded..

But from what I've read.. gill flapping means they are breathing..
There is less oxygen in warmer tanks...
Are they used to something cooler?

I know this is delayed.. so how are they doing now?

try increasing air flow in the tank with an air stone and pump

Thanks for the responses. I added a water pump with a spray bar to increase surface agitation and a small fan to increase evaporative cooling. With the summer setting in, though, the fan has just managed to keep pace with the ambient temperature and the tank is still at 69-70 degrees.

All five occupants of the tank are now flapping away at regular intervals of 1-3 seconds. If this is just a matter of the tank possibly being a little too warm for their comfort, I would be less concerned. I'm just worried that it could mean something more serious is wrong with them or their environment.

I've noticed that my little guy will start flapping his gills about 20-30 minutes before he poops. Is this normal? Maybe its the same with yours.

Gill flapping is normal.

Gill flapping is normal. And I believe every axie is different in it's needs. Meaning one may flap it's gills more than another but it doesn't mean anything is wrong. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back