Drunk?

Vilya

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had my axolotl for almost three weeks now and have recently agreed to watch my friend's for the summer. They are about four months old, 3.5 inches long. They are currently living in a tupperware container that came with the breeder. She said I wouldn't have to put them into a aquarium until they were about six inches long. I have been changing the water, with water that is the same temperature and dechlorinated, every few days. They have java moss in their container as a place to hide. I give them newt/salamander pellets and bloodworms everyday.

The first week and a half I was stressed out of my mind and pretty sure I was doing everything wrong. But things have gotten better until I got home a few days ago. I have been running around like crazy for the last week so I had my brother taking care of them. Unfortunately he was not cleaning their containers everyday so when I got back the water was really gross. I cleaned it immediately and they seemed fine. They weren't even showing signs of stress or seemed upset at all by the water condition before I cleaned it or after.

So here it my problem. My friend's axolotls seems to have become drunk. It is the best way I can explain it. It seems to not be able to walk on the bottom well. It tilts to one side a bit and it is almost like one of its legs doesn't work. It doesn't seem to bother it. It has a wonderful appetite and still doesn't have gills curled forward or a curled tail.

Is it okay? Should I be really concerned? I haven't seen any sign of a fungus on them or anything unusual besides this odd behavior.

Last edited:
Welcome to the wonderful world of axolotls and their strange behaviours.
Does the leg look ok? Im guessing this is new behaviour. Can you post a photo of your baby doing his drunk thing?? I dont know a lot about raising babies so you might have to wait for someone with more experience to jump in and help and that is why a photo would be a helpful.
Axies like to scare us humans.......I think it is one of their past times:D

Well it is hard to get a picture of it because they are only on their sides for a few seconds before righting themselves. The legs look fine and they do use all of them but they just tip a bit. But besides that they still are fine.

the behaviour might just be a thing that he does:D , they all have their own silly things they do. I would just keep an eye on him and see how he goes if he gets worse you might have a find a vet that can help. sorry I cant be of more help. Keep us informed tho.

Thank you for helping. I might just be overreacting. But I will keep and eye on him and keep you posted.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back