Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I just can't help myself...

iChris

Reaction score
I visited my local aquarist today after work to make some seemingly non-axie related purchases, like water conditioner, foods, etc, but this time I walked out with something extra...a new axie.

I have just bought home a beautiful melanoid tankmate for Lance-alotl. she is a female, as my current axie is. I made sure of this as I don't want 200+ eggs and the mouths to feed that come soon after.

she is a large one too, slightly larger than Lance. she's fat too :rolleyes: and is well fed. and as a responsible owner, I asked many a question about how she was kept too, each of which was answered well. kept on a bare bottom 200L tank with a slow sponge filter, no lights at all and bunches of hornwort to hide under.

I will upload pics when she is settled in, but may I ask, I hope I'm not the only one that needs to attend Axoholics Anonymous.

iChris

Reaction score
according to the retailer, she was put on show just a few days back, after she was quarantined for 2 months at the shop behind the scenes.

I do trust them, they are very reputable, Lance came from that shop infact and is fine. I would not introduce her to my current axie if I was not 100% sure she was healthy.

she has all her limbs, no external sores, marks and such, and no floating at all.

infact, I just noticed that she has 2 extra toes on her front left foot, a total of 6 on one foot!

iChris

Reaction score
ok, some pics. the first is one I took as soon as I noticed she has 2 extra toes on one foot. the second is after I released her, with lance sitting in her favorite spot on the wood.

Attachments

• 100_1524.jpg
    100_1524.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 98
  • 100_1526.jpg
    100_1526.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 102

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Your defiantly not alone, I've been wanting another axi for a while, and I'm finally getting a bigger tank... so maybe :D

I'd love a golden to be friends with my beautiful Lotl

But I do worry, as my girl is so spoiled, I don't want her to be aggressive... as I've taught her the "chase fingers" game. I worry just a little.

As a question would a tank thats 80cm long, 30 high and 30 wide be big enough for two axi's?

BTW your new girl is so pretty, lucky you!!!

iChris

Reaction score
thank you, she is isn't she?

with lots of visual barriers and hides, you should be fine. younger axies tend to be more cannibalistic than older ones too, so age can be a factor.

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Oh well my Lotl is about 8 months old... I think. I've had her for about 4 months and she was a fair size when I got her (maybe 15-17cm).

She's not really aggressive in her biting... but I wouldn't want to be a worm.

I just worry about getting another one her size too, as I heard size difference is a big factor. All the ones around my area tend to be small, Lotl is the biggest axi I've seen in person. Plus none of the axi's in my area are particularly well cared for, I don't want to risk my beautiful healthy Lotl

Erzs

Reaction score
Oh she is beautiful! I'm not in the slightest bit surprised you ended up taking her home with you. They look very nice together too.

Boo Penguin if you're planning on getting a second tank you could keep the two axolotls seperate until you were satisfied they could live together without any trouble.

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Oh she is beautiful! I'm not in the slightest bit surprised you ended up taking her home with you. They look very nice together too.

Boo Penguin if you're planning on getting a second tank you could keep the two axolotls seperate until you were satisfied they could live together without any trouble.
Hey Erze

I'm not getting a second tank, technically I'm replacing my current tank. I'll be getting rid of my old one once the new one is set up.

Maybe I'll wait for a while to get a new one, I think that a new tank and a new friend at the same time might be too much

Thinking of it now when I got her she was in a piddly little tank with another axi, and another of them had any signs of fighting so maybe she will be alright

iChris

Reaction score
she has allready seemed to settle in, so I will offer food after I have been offered food (ie, after dinner) Lance is already standing up against the glass with her two front legs held high, looking above for my hands. Lance recognizes me, and that I mean food. whenever I get up or walk past the tank, she expects a feed. I don't think it will be long until my new girl starts to do it too.

hint, she's also nameless.

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
she has allready seemed to settle in, so I will offer food after I have been offered food (ie, after dinner) Lance is already standing up against the glass with her two front legs held high, looking above for my hands. Lance recognizes me, and that I mean food. whenever I get up or walk past the tank, she expects a feed. I don't think it will be long until my new girl starts to do it too.

hint, she's also nameless.
I'm sure it won't take long for her to figure out that your the god who feeds

Ooooh what about Gwen

So then you'll have a Lance-o-lotl and a Guinevere

Blaze

Reaction score
Ohh okay, for some strange reason I thought you were in Brissy (going mad!) It might be a hugeee stretch but I was recently in Taree and went into a lovely little aquarium and they had the most STUNNING wildtype female Axie who was very well looked after. Was a good way to calm my nerves before getting my tattoo which was next door! haha

(Sorry for hijacking!)

Star

Reaction score
My dad thinks I should charge for people to come see my axies :p I personally don't see 4 tanks as too many...

Morrison

Reaction score
Pretty much looks like me. When I don't need an axolotl I come home with a new one.
(Or a corn snake...)

iChris

Reaction score
A few pics, Lance-Altol and my new nameless monster getting aquainted. so far I have not seen any hints of violence from either of them towards the other. a pic so you can really see how big she is, she is slightly bigger than lance, and in saying that lance has allready mothered 2 clutches of eggs, before I got her! and finally, Lance, awaiting a feed.

Attachments

• IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 87
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!