Are my Newts ok?

newt3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I bought 3 newts yesterday. Im a bit worried about 2 of them though. One is rather fat, his abdomen is quite swollen, nothing else is swollen though. He spent about 6 hours yesterday just sitting in a plant not moving much, this morning he seems ok he's currently searching for blood worm at the bottom of the tank.

The other newt is much skinnier, and is refusing to eat. As far as i know hes been sitting on there floating rock all night. Though yesterday he was in the water quite allot. Iv tried waving blood worm in front of him to get him to eat but that didnt work.

Are they just stressed from there move? are do i need to worry. especially about the fat one?

Oh also the woman at the pet shop said i didnt need to feed them anything except a cube of frozen blood worm every two days. is this really ok?

Oh there fire belly newts. I think there chinease fire bellys but i can't be sure.
thank you

Hi there.

Could you post a picture of your newts and their new home. This will help identify them, and see if their home is set up correctly. Also what size are your newts?
They may be reluctant to feed as they tend to need time to settle and feel secure. I personally feed my little firebelly newts small live earthworm.

Yeah i can take photos tonight of them. Will handling them stress them out? as for size there about 6 cm, the fat one look bigger though maybe 7 cm. Im assuming the fat one must be a lil older. the swelling in his stomach has gone down a little to i think. thank you

porkyJ 2.jpg This is the fat newt

cube!.jpg This is the newt who wont leave the land

newton 2.jpg other newt

This is a picture of the newts. sorry its not good quality. Does the fat one look like a normal size?

The newt thats been staying on the land has now been on the land 36 hours now. The other thin newt has joined it now. Is there a problem with my water? I think im going to have to buy some testing kits to make sure my water is ok. think i may do a partial water change today aswell. I know i was told to only do it once a week. but i dont like how the newts are going out of the water. Oh the fat one is still in the plant, but near the surface of the water. Iv only got fake plants in at the moment if i put in real ones will it help with my water quality? Also is the fat newt ill? isnt swollen abdomens a sign of kidney failure?

i dont know lots about them yet, i have only had my newts for few weeks, but i have read that if newts are out of the water for too long they dry up!!! this is obviously Fatel to the newt!.

I fond my newts wont eat in front of me when the lights are on, of a night when i turn the lamp off that i have besides the tank, all the food tends to have gone, so i am presuming they just tend to feed at night, this may be the case with yours.

Im sure someone else on here will be able to give you some better advise about the situation though. (bloated newt, on land etc)

Thanks for the reply. The newt on the land still appears moist. As for the bloated newt. In the plant she keeps sitting in theres now two browny, white round lumps. So i guess my next question is what color are newt eggs? and can a newt i bought in a pet shop really be pregnant? are is this something else? I really don't have much experiance with newts. help!

I dont myself, but if you look back over some previous threads on here you will see some pictures of newts eggs. There is also a Link in my thread 'Newts eggs' as i thought that i had some in my tank which turned out to be snail eggs!

Your description sounds like eggs to me, and may explain why she is more rounded.

Oh if they are eggs will they be fertile? She's still sitting in that plant. Guess il wait see if anymore appear. Is there anything i need to do if she is prgnant? like feed her more are anything?

Are my newts ok?

Sorry for the long list of questions but I have a few more. I put all the newts in a seperate container to eat today (iv noticed that last time they didnt eat all the blood worm, and its hard to get them all out of my tank) and the one that hadnt been eating eat some of them :) but the other two didn't eat. Is this a stressful way to feed them? im considering going to buy some live food to see if they eat that better.

Also iv noticed there sizes and tail shapes are different. Can it vary amony chinese fire bellys? It said on the guide you gave me a link to that japenease have rougher skin which none of thease have.
Iv taken a better picture of them all together which I will upload later.

Also how can you tell if there male are female? I read that males have a swollen cloaca? One of mine has two bumpy things next to his. Does that mean hes male?.

Oh and finally the water feels kind of warm. Whats the best way to cool it down? would putting icecubes in there help? are would putting some ice packs near the side help?

Iv, tried frozen blood worm, and live mini meal worm. My fire bellys refuse to eat both. Iv ordered some brine shrimp eggs to hatch and try them on aswell. But I just don't know how to get them toeat, iv tried waving the food infront of them with tweezers, leaving it in a shallow food bowl on their land and dropping it in the water. Iv also looked for earthworms to feed them on but can't find any in the pet shop are my garden. One of my newts did snap at a mini meal worm crawling in front of it but then spit it out. could the meal worm be to big for it?

How long can they go without food, its been about a week now. the second day i got them one did eat a little bit of blood worm but thats it. Oh also when i get the brine shrimp how long can they survive in none salty water for?oh theres a chance one of the newts could be preganat to, little browny white lumps appeared in the plants but the next day they were gone. thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back