Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl intelligence

Star

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has, or knows of, any papers on axolotl intelligence. It has intrigued me for a while but recently I have noticed that Scylla will be hidden somewhere, I can place something in front of the tank and she still stays hidden but the last few times I have put the pack of frozen bloodworms next to her tank to defrost she has been out like a shot sitting and watching me, if I stand up she is up at the top waiting for food. Curious if it is coincidence or if they really are intelligent little buggers because I swear she can differentiate me from other people as well. I know it probably sounds anthropomorphic but she will come investigate other people then swim away, with me she does little dances and snaps at the water and side of the tank.

caseeybrown

Reaction score
Hey youre not the only one who thinks it so dont worry! Ive read a few threads along the line of this and loadsa interesting stories come from it xD

Ive had my axie only for a few weeks now but he already knows that blue tweezers = food! And when i walk over to the tank he faces my way so he can keep an eye on what im doing!

Im beginning to train him to sit on this hammock thing thats in his tank because its closer to the surface so i dont have to stick my entire arm in the tank just to feed him!

If he learns this then axies MUST be intelligent :D

Im waiting for someone to say theyve trained their axie to swim through hoops and do tricks!

Star

Reaction score
Hmm I might do something along these lines for my dissertation then... :p got a few to use now! haha

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
There are a number of threads about the habilities of axolotls, and while they are certainly able of some basic trained behaviours like associating the tweezers or movement with food, they are unable to perform complex actions or associations.
Recognition is brought about by association with food. They are after all predators so they depend in the hability to recognize prey and being able to take advantage of the opportunity. Everytime you move in front or over the tank, the animal thinks it´s going to get fed and so becomes excited in anticipation. In more extreme cases, but rather frequently, the animal may try to bite the glass, swim through it, and if the tweezers or the hand are introduced they may attack them (which reminds me that i got bitten by a H.dunni the other day xD). Individual experience and repetition are important in determining how strong the feeding reaction is.
Some people think this excited behaviour is because of an emotional attachment like it happens with dogs, but if you test the reactions, everytime you´ll find that the animal just wants food. To the point that when completely satisfied (which may require serious stuffing xD) they may not display any reaction to the stimuli.
Try to teach an axolotl to presh a button three times to get fed....and be prepared for disappointment, hehe.

Morrison

Reaction score
I always have the idea that axies are pretty intelligent salamanders.

Loobylou

Reaction score
I always have the idea that axies are pretty intelligent salamanders.

I've only had my juvenile for a week and he's already suprising me. Every morning he comes to the front of the tank for my children to say good bye before they go to school, which I don't think is to do with food, as they don't feed him and he's not fed in the mornings. I got him a new shallow dish on Sunday for his food, and in the evenings when he wants feeding he sits on it and waves his gills to get attention. When I go over and shake my head and say 'No' he shakes his head back and goes and sits in his castle with his back turned like he's sulking xD

Star

Reaction score
So it is basically just to receive food? :p I wasn't 100% sure. When you say they are unable to perform complex associations, I take it this also means some form of recognition towards a human? Scylla definitely appears more excited when I am close to her tank instead of another person, could this just be she recognises my build or something along those lines? I'm not sure on their eyesight but I guess if it is as fantastic as hamsters then they would at the very least be able to see a basic outline?

The Banana

Reaction score
Sometimes they seem bright.. other times not so bright.

For instance, my Banana comes and waves at me whenever I'm near, but say my friend (or anybody else) goes in the room, he will back away and stare them out. Only comes and waves hello to me, no matter how many other people are in the room. So for this reason, I think they can recognize their feeder (me).

Not-so-bright moments..
I thought I'll give the axies in the big tank a bit of a brain tease, so I put food in a clear plastic container. Banana just stood on the outside, trying to snap. Couldn't get in.
My wild is a real smarty pants, he found he had to swim up to get in the opening, and was feeding away.. well the wild was going in and out, either to tease Banana or to show her how it's done. Couldn't get it.
So I put the container on it's side, so all she had to do was walk forward. Took her forever to get it (after watching the smart wild), and then she ate some foodables. After that, stood there looking *up* expecting me to feed her, when the food was at her feet.

Well, she is also a smarty pants at times.. I usually feed her in a little fry saver that's in the corner of the tank. She knows now that is where the food comes from (such as Loobylou's food dish), and swims in there to get fed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1