Suitable tank mates for my P.Waltls?

jplee3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all,

I've got a couple P. Waltls and I know that cohabiting with other species and animals is generally not a good idea. I read in another post that someone has glass/ghost shrimp in their tank with their P.Waltl. I wouldn't mind trying that out.

Has anyone else successfully brought other species or animals in their tanks with 1-2 P.Waltls? They're in a 20gal tank right now.

TIA!

You can certainly try ghost shrimp, cherry shrimp and the like. Some people go for other types of fresh-water crustaceans like gammarids or Asellus aquaticus. You can also try certain types of snail.

wouldn't those shrimp become an instant snack for the waltls?

Yes, they will get eaten eventually....I had about 10 red cherry shrimps in my 55 gallon with 5 P.Waltls and they have disappeared over the past couple of months. It took a while for the newts to figure out they were a food source however.

Thanks guys!

If I introduce snails or shrimp (or the other crustaceans), would I need to quarantine them? And if so, for how long?

Which would be the *best* for helping keep the tank clean (algae and waste wise) without creating waste in of themselves? Snails?

Crazy, I just came across this:

10g LED tank

He has one P.Waltl in his fish tank full of fish, shrimp and snails.

that guy's tank is a train wreck in the making. Not only do those fish have different temperature preferences than the newt, but if the waltl tries to eat one of those corys, which he will sooner or later, it'll be off to the Big Tank In The Sky for both of them.

Bad idea: don't copy !

I have small pond snails in my tanks, and they are very good at eating fuzz algae off leaves, esp. big leaves like java ferns. They won't do much against hair algae though.

However, in my tanks wtih adult newts there's never any adult snails; I assume the newts eat them all before they get too big.

Last edited:
P.waltl will try to eat anything that fits into their mouths. If they can’t fit it in they will try tearing bite size chunks off. During feeding last week one of my adults managed to crocodile roll another adults back leg clean off. Any invertebrate tank mate is likely to be a snack waiting to happen so don’t spend much money on them!
Which would be the *best* for helping keep the tank clean (algae and waste wise) without creating waste in of themselves? Snails?
Remember that all animals produce waste. Snails might clean the algae off the glass but they poop it out as waste at the other end. The algae that was helpfully removing nitrates from the tank is now waste itself. There is no magic solution to waste and algae other than good housekeeping or a very well planted tank. Adding animals just increases the waste.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back