Water change?

iggiethegecko

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to axolotl keeping and just in the final stages of cycling my first tank, so I'm just looking for a bit of advice really.

The tank has been naturally cycling (no fish/axolotls - just a filter, and live plants) since 23rd April now. Today's reading are ammonia 0.5, PH 6.4, Nitrate 0, Nitrites 0.5. The temperature has been a constant 18 deg C. Obviously the ammonia needs to come down to 0 and am I right in thinking PH should ideally be 7? Otherwise it seems the other parameters are about right. Would it be beneficial to do a partial water change at this point, I've read it's advisable to do this prior to adding the axolotls or is it best to wait until the ammonia reaches 0?

Last edited:
I don't think a water change is needed at this time.

The pH of 6.4 is good. Has it changed since you first set up the tank? Anything in the range of 6.0 - 8.0 is fine, but if it's changing over time this gives you information about what's going on with the water chemistry. Continue to monitor it, but it doesn't need to be altered.

your cycle is complete when you have 0 ammonia and nitrite, and have nitrate. You're actually not near the end of your cycle. When you start getting nitrate and your ammonia gets closer to 0 you'll be near the end.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back