Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Really high PH

mekkha

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
My tank has fully cycled and is almost all axie ready. The only problem I have is my PH. It is quite high at 8. I tested my tap water just to make sure and it gives the same number (I tested more than once over a couple of weeks just to be sure).

Should I use a PH downer? Is it safe to use a downer and a dechlorinator? Right now I'm using Prime if that helps any. I know most people say not to worry about PH too much but I just want to make sure as 8 seems high.

I want a happy healthy axie. Thanks :)

aeri

Reaction score
8 is ok. As long as it's not fluctuating then it's fine.
They'll be happier in 7.0 though, I'd suggest using driftwood to lower the ph slowly and naturally.
I'd personally stay away from chemicals to raise/lower PH because I'm afraid to mess with the water chemistry. Lowering/raising too much all of a sudden would be instant death.

carsona246

Reaction score
don't use ph down, like aeri said it'll cause your ph to fluctuate. Use driftwood or peat to slowly lower your ph. But if you slowly acclimate your axoltol it'll be fine.

mekkha

Reaction score
I never thought about fluctuation, thanks guys! How do I slowly acclimate my axolotl? Would that be by leaving him/her in the bag and in the tank for a while before I let it loose in the aquarium?

aeri

Reaction score
large fluctuations are probably the main reason aquatic species stress/die. keep that in mind when doing any changes with the tank.

the way i acclimatize all my fish is by using a 5 gallon bucket, and emptying out the axo into the bucket with enough water from the bag to cover it
then i take water from the tank and dump it into the bucket. approx 1:1 ratio of tank water to bag water
then dump the same amount of tank water into the bucket every 10 minutes for an hour. then i dump the axo into the tank.

read: Fish Acclimatization, by Peter McKane

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
pH 8 is just fine. In most aquariums, the pH drops over time due to the metabolism of the animals. I doubt that you'll need to go to any trouble to adjust it.

mekkha

Reaction score
large fluctuations are probably the main reason aquatic species stress/die. keep that in mind when doing any changes with the tank.

the way i acclimatize all my fish is by using a 5 gallon bucket, and emptying out the axo into the bucket with enough water from the bag to cover it
then i take water from the tank and dump it into the bucket. approx 1:1 ratio of tank water to bag water
then dump the same amount of tank water into the bucket every 10 minutes for an hour. then i dump the axo into the tank.

read: Fish Acclimatization, by Peter McKane

Wow thank you so much!

hdonahue

Reaction score
I'm at a good 8.2 pH. Should I be concerned? She's been living in it her whole life and has no symptoms of stress and eats like a princess. I would like to lower it would any one suggest that I do so with a piece of driftwood?

carsona246

Reaction score
if she's been living there for her whole life then it's just fine. If you do want to lower the ph, driftwood will lower it slowly, but there's no need if there are no problems. As my grandpa always says "don't fix what's not broken"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1