Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl deteriorating in the fridge

JessKB

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Unfortunately one of my axolotls was attacked by his tank mate and got his arm all mangled up. The hand is bent back a bit, and a few fingers are missing. I put him in the fridge about a week ago, and at first he seemed to be making great progress. He's in a tupperwear with about a gallon of water. I change it everyday with same temp dechlorinated water. However, his tail is now curled and the wounded hand has skin hanging off it and is quite red. He had a little bit of fungus on one finger but it went away. At this point should I consider giving him salt baths? or should I warm him up and get some food in him?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you can post a picture, that would be most helpful!

If the arm was quite damaged, the skin will die, and fall off. That's not something to be alarmed about. The redness can be a sign of infection, though. A picture would help determine if it's an infection, which will require veterinary assistance, or just normal healing.

memojo1979

Reaction score
Can the redness also be a sign of blood during new growth? When my golden got a front leg injured, it was bent back the wrong way, with the bone poking through + it took ages to heal over, but heal it did, with no fungus - she went through a stage of having a rather red + blotchy looking leg though.
Just adding extra ideas, as I would never want to contradict Kaysie - she gives wonderful advise + is always ready to help out :happy:

JessKB

Reaction score
ok guys, I'm going to try to get a pic when I get home from work. He's in a blue container right now so I'll have to find something clear to put him in.

JessKB

Reaction score
Here is my wounded axolotl. As you can see, his one arm is in bad shape. It's red and brown and there is skin flaking off. What would you guys suggest I do? He's also getting pretty skinny. Should I warm him up and feed him?

Attachments

• 102_3200.jpg
    102_3200.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 581
  • 102_3199.jpg
    102_3199.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,354

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I suspect the arm will fall off. It doesn't look infected or fungus-y. Keep him in the fridge until the arm falls off and starts to regenerate. Then the risk of infection is usually over. After that, you can take him out and warm him up and start feeding him extra food to help regeneration.

JessKB

Reaction score
Ok I'll keep him in the fridge till it falls off. How long can he be in the fridge without eating? When I put him in he was a lot fatter than he is now, and he's already defecated twice, both times it was a large amount.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Try offering food while in the fridge. He may or may not eat. If you set your fridge on a warmer setting (but still cold enough to be sanitary in regards to your food), he's more apt to eat.

They can be in the fridge for months, and he can go a couple weeks without food. I don't think it'll be more than a few days until the arm falls off.

Pooping in the fridge is normal. Like all other ectothermic animals, axolotls' metabolic rate is faster when it's warmer. Fridging slows their digestive system, so they poop in order to get rid of all the undigested food in their gut, rather than having it rot in their gut.

JessKB

Reaction score
Alright, thanks Kasie. I'll wait to see if it falls off. How long should I wait?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1