Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Heat! An Arctic heat wave!

Molch

Reaction score
It got to 70 degrees F here today, which is a new record high for this day**. Went kayaking down the river to cool off. In my newt room, their tank temps broke the 60 F mark for the first time this summer. It'll cool down at night, thank goodness, though no more darkness here until August.

So..how hot is it where you are?

** from weather wunderground: "... Record high temperature in Nome...
At 939 PM Friday evening the temperature in Nome reach 71
degrees. This eclipses the former record for may 27 of
69 degrees set in 1974."

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
We are in the middle of a mild spell with lots of summer storms, but it´s already been over 27ºC, [80.6 degrees F for us Americans -otterwoman] and in the next few weeks it´s going to get so hot....:S I hate this time of the year because around here heat arrives suddenly and falls like a hammer...you never know what to wear in the mornings xD
This has been a rather mild year so far, though, but there have been some freaky situations in recent years, like a couple of years ago when you felt hot wearing short sleeves in the middle of the day in mid january, but it would then freeze at night....Never before had i ever experienced a hot january, or such drastic temperature changes in such sort spans xDD

70ºF sounds like a worrying occurrence where you live, Molch, has there been any obvious impact in local wild life so far?

On a side note, i´ve always wanted to experience what it´s like to live in a place with arctic summers and arctic winters, months of night...it must be quite remarkable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
We're finally recovering from record flooding here in Southern Illinois. Next week it's suppose to be in the 90F's (32C+) all week.

Molch

Reaction score
70ºF sounds like a worrying occurrence where you live, Molch, has there been any obvious impact in local wild life so far?

Oh, the critters can handle it - in Alaska's interior, they face temps of 100F in summer and minus 60F in winter. Here on the coast the differences are less dramatic. Our all-time high for Nome is 86 F.

Right now, wildlife are calving and shedding. The muskoxen are dropping babies and huge clumps of qiviut (underwool). We hike out after them and collect the qiviut for knitting and spinning. (I knit occasionally but my neighbor spins it). The bears are out and about. We have a bear momma with 4 cups, which is really unusual, who still stick with her after 3 years, which is even more unusual. We've observed them on and off for the last 3 years. They appear on the hillside above our houses, hunting ground squirrels, muskoxen and reindeer, then disappear behind the hill for a few days. They killed a muskox a mile up the hill 2 days ago.

Moose are calving too. I had one in my driveway just 10 minutes ago - it was shedding in large clumps, but had no new calf yet. There's also 100ds of reindeer on the hillside above our houses. The rivers are running now but big snowfields still on the hills.

It's quite a Utopia I live in. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's 84 degrees F (about 29 C) here and I just put up the AC in the bedroom for the summer (the only room in my house w/ AC except for the basement- hey, the newts come first!).

Alejandro

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I live in El Paso, Texas. We are hitting 100F (38C) later on this week. We are currently experiencing a terrible drought (107 days or so without any drop of rain) and duststorms almost daily with winds of up to 50 miles per hour. I live very close to the southernmost tip of the Rocky Mountains called locally Franklin Mountains. We have mule deer, coyotes, pumas, skunks, ground squirrels, mockinbirds, desert quail (Callipepla gambelii), roadrunners, spade foot toads, Bufo sp. toads, lots of songbirds but no salamanders...
Also hawks, owls etc.

Molch

Reaction score
we had another record-setting day at 75 F after that one, but now it's gone back to a normal Arctic summer high of 50 to 60.

More to my liking. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1