Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Earthworms

Star

Reaction score
Not directly axie related but they are for their dinner! I bought about 100 the other day and left them in a 5-8 gal plastic tank with no lid on. They have shredded paper and the earth they came in BUT I keep finding the little buggers around the house!! Has anyone else experienced this or is it more likely my cat is stealing them, deciding he doesn't like them and leaving them on the floor? I've found 3 so far....

To bring the axies into it, my little larvae from Mojo have attempted to eat some chopped up worms but I guess they were too big so I need to cut them smaller but that was nice to see :) And my eldest larvae chomped one down quite quickly :D S/he has a very fat belly now!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Without a lid, the worms will inevitably venture out when its dark. The only way to keep worms inside a lidless tank is to shine a light over the container 24 hours a day, because they are so photophobic.
I strongly recommend that you use a lid. It will not only prevent the worms from scaping, it will also reduce evaporation allowing the surface to be sufficiently moist for the worms to use, and will prevent pests from entering the container. Since some degree of ventilation is benefitial, make sure to have some that is covered with very fine mesh or cloth.

Star

Reaction score
Thanks I didn't think they'd be able to climb up the sides. I've found the lid for it now which has ventilation so hopefully it should be ok :)

smily sam

Reaction score
My worms regularly escape and they have a lid. I find them all over the fridge, as a result I am not alowd to keep them on the top shelf anymore!

zoezakella

Reaction score
Not directly axie related but they are for their dinner! I bought about 100 the other day and left them in a 5-8 gal plastic tank with no lid on. They have shredded paper and the earth they came in BUT I keep finding the little buggers around the house!! Has anyone else experienced this or is it more likely my cat is stealing them, deciding he doesn't like them and leaving them on the floor? I've found 3 so far....

To bring the axies into it, my little larvae from Mojo have attempted to eat some chopped up worms but I guess they were too big so I need to cut them smaller but that was nice to see :) And my eldest larvae chomped one down quite quickly :D S/he has a very fat belly now!

LOL what a shock!!! worms crawl up sides so quickly can only imagine they were everywhere what a nightmare. hope you got them back quickly and if you need a cheap way of getting worms read this :) xx

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...tter-your-amphibians-but-save-some-money.html

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
tried earthworms today for the first time.. i set up a worm farm about a week ago for compost etc. so i'm all stocked up for my little lottie's.. it took a while to manuvre the slimy little worm into position but when my axies realised it was breakfast.. CHOMP! success..

the only problem is a bit after my girl ate her worm she seemed to be gulping a little out of discomfort.. should i be worried?

smily sam

Reaction score
No, you shouldn't be worried its just your axie geting a grip on the worm and forceing it down
Sam:happy:
mmm delicouse worms:wacko:

iChris

Reaction score
I have a large worm farm set up outside, so I have a constant supply of axie food, although with the cooler weather coming, they all disappear, except when its about to rain.

I read somewhere that earthworms can detect changes in atmospheric pressure, and thus know when it's going to rain. they come to the surface and seek higher ground, so they don't drown in heavy downpours. pretty smart? this could be why my worms seem to be disappearing as it gets cooler, as maybe they are leaving the farm looking for higher ground, but the worms don't know that the farm is under the verandah, so it is always out of the rain.

star, try covering the container with a pair of stretched stockings.

Zalth

Reaction score
My mum didn't close the lid properly, we ended up with loads of earthworms in our fridge.

And in my juice. <////3

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
the only problem is a bit after my girl ate her worm she seemed to be gulping a little out of discomfort.. should i be worried?

Some worms exude more fluid than others. I've noticed the gulping after feeding specific species of worms to my axolotl, and I assume it's because they're more 'gooey' than others, and the axolotls are trying to expel the slime out of their mouth.

priesty

Reaction score
My little dudes tried worms for the first time (well first time by me) today, 1 had success the other not so much, should all axeis eat worms?

She kept getting it in her mouth then spitting it out, I think it might have something to do with gravel or maybe its to big but i'm unsure

Link: My first worm

EDIT: Added link

Last edited:

zoezakella

Reaction score
My little dudes tried worms for the first time (well first time by me) today, 1 had success the other not so much, should all axeis eat worms?

She kept getting it in her mouth then spitting it out, I think it might have something to do with gravel or maybe its to big but i'm unsure

Well done worms are a great staple diet for your axies and they will thank you for it!!

Ok first things first gravel is a big no no in an axie tank, sorry :( Axies get impacted with gravel so please change the substrate to either bare bottomed or sand and if sand make sure it is thoroughly washed before adding it to your tank :happy:

Secondly, how big are your axies and how big were the worms that you fed them?? Some can handle bigger than others so maybe try a smaller worm next time or cut one up??

priesty

Reaction score
Well done worms are a great staple diet for your axies and they will thank you for it!!

Ok first things first gravel is a big no no in an axie tank, sorry :( Axies get impacted with gravel so please change the substrate to either bare bottomed or sand and if sand make sure it is thoroughly washed before adding it to your tank :happy:

Secondly, how big are your axies and how big were the worms that you fed them?? Some can handle bigger than others so maybe try a smaller worm next time or cut one up??

Added a link to a video I shot, hope that helps.

My first worm

zoezakella

Reaction score
Nice video :)

Ok a few things and hope this helps...

1) I know there are mixed feelings about this small gravel stuff so that will have to be up to you all I can say is sand and barebottomed are the best substance, the gravel you have looks a little bit sharp, axies have very soft skin BUT is so hard to tell sometimes from piccies you know its your tank :D??

2) The gravel layer is too thick, you will end up with bacteria pockets so be careful and make sure you stir regulary to get rid of them, also I noticed whilst your axie was eating some bloodworm shot up, was that new or old? As you may know gravel has a bad habit of hiding lots of debris and old food so be careful and bloodworm must be hard to spot in the gravel and it will start fouling the water if left uneaten.

3) Your axies look great but I would say the worm was just too big and lively lol!!! I remember the first time I gave my biggest one a large worm and was shocked at just how big it was, it seems like they double their length underwater :happy: All I will say is Mojo finally defeated the worm BUT i did find the worm spewed up again later so learnt that lesson quickly, retrieving spewed worm = not nice!

Hope that helps

priesty

Reaction score
Thanks for that!

I did think the gravel was too thick, I might try and buy some tiny plant pots for the plants that way I can thin the layer out/alternately replace it with sand.

The blood worms are from about 3 days ago, it was the first time I used them so didn't realise how messy they were, I have tried to catch as many floaters as I can but the seem to have gotten everywhere!

Your right about the worms tho, I think I might get the smaller ones next time! Marcel seemed to enjoy his tho. :D

zoezakella

Reaction score
No problem thanks for taking it on the right way only here to help :D ok your plants should be ok in an inch of sand mine are so try that another thing you can do is get a couple of large and I mean bigger than axies mouth pebbles and place a few around roots to keep them down.

As for the bloodworm think you have realised. They are so messy and a nightmare to pick up after especially when you can't see them there are ways of feeding them in jars etc to cut mess down but you wil also see then easier on sand.

Anyway good luck and look forward to seeing more pics of your cute axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!