Question: Wiggly axolotls...?

Minniechild

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Caitie
So I woke up this morning to find three axies (George, Peta and Izzie) frantically wriggling around the tank, going up, down, digging a bit, nudging butts frantically... Then the others began to get involved, nudging, frantically wiggling and trying to get under the cracked jar ornament, and when I was going out to breakfast (so the cat didn't get it-not that she isn't trying at the moment!), bertie had left his/her perch on the filter to join in (all six in the fray...).
Apart from digging, I noticed a lot of enlarged clocae, a few slightly forward gills (in george, who's been a little bit forward since the original trio moved back out,,,)
As I'm posting from my phone, I can't add the video and pics I managed to take, so I'll attempt to upload them asap.
Any thoughts/explanations/etc would be INCREDIBLY appreciated!
Minnie/Caitie, Freddie, Izzie, George, Peta, Phree and Bertie <3

Sounds like there is some "love" in the tank. ;) It's that typical behaviour when they want to breed.
If you don't want babies I would suggest separating them, but if you do want them you can keep them in there.
Nothing to worry about.

I want babies! (as do a load of my friends!) as for timing, it couldn't be worse/better, as next monday (not this one- that's exams!) I start prac.. Eep! Anyways, am out at the moment, so shall see what's happened when I get home...

Oooohhh... how exciting.
Hope you will be able to work around your exams (or should I say work around the future little 'lotls?).

Good luck! :D

SPERMATAPHORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D
*A-hem*, just thought I'd add that. And some pics and video (please forgive the mess- my room is a disaster and today was tank cleaning day (did it last week, have doubled the filtration, so not too concerned about missing it today specifically).
1. The Video of the axies going nuts!!
2. Peta's Cloca (Any thoughts Male vs. female?)
3. Spermataphore (I think...? Gotta zoom in a bit to make the little jelly blob out :D)

So far, no eggies, but I shall keep updating on the situation (Even if they end up all duds- I'm pretty sure this is everyone except Peta's first breeding season).
-Minnie

Okay, now to actually add the pics- The video wouldn't upload, so I've put up the facebook link...
And the other two as stated *Facepalm*
I've also noticed that Peta's cloca (the leucistic) at around 1:20-ish looks rather red...is this normal?

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 241
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 234
Quick update... Spermataphore is gone, not sure if it was picked up (do the females take the entire thing??), or dislodged by someone swimming, and no eggies yet :( still, no more frantic silly dance this morning!

Aww :)
I sometimes see a spermatophore in the tank as well. And then a few hours later it's gone... Sometimes it just moved a bit to a different place... By swimming axies or the current... Or it's picked up ofcourse. If it is you will probably find out soon :)

Awww how awesome!!! I hope it was picked up! :D

(Btw the video doesn't work.)

Haha, I also find it ironic that when I click on the link it sends me to a video Lindsay Lohan: Not crazy, followed by Lindsay Lohan loves community service.

I'm sure its my sleep addled brain, but I'm seeing parallels between axies acting silly in a love dance, and a crazy Lohan. Actually, scrap that its an insult to the axies!

OMG if you do get eggies I hope the axi with freckles is the daddy!!! I love axi's with those cute little freckles!!!

OMG if you do get eggies I hope the axi with freckles is the daddy!!! I love axi's with those cute little freckles!!!

Most likely as Peta(the leucistic)'s the largest of them (btw, male or female? I've thought female before, but after this I'm back to s/he/it for pretty much all of them), but then again, the genetic combos in there are pretty insane, and it looks like Izzie (golden)was the main aggressor, so not sure what that'd mean for any babies.
And so far, no babies... and we're over the 36 hr mark :(. As I've said, if the drop eggies, it'll be tomorrow morning when I've got to be at uni before 8:30 for the blasted exam, and can't really do a thing about it...

Awwww. Why are my axies so boring all the time? :mad:

Are they? Even when my guys aren't dirty dancing, there's always someone playing around (then again, I've got the six of them, and three of them are having to find other interests other than prime-time tv, radio, and people walking by going *ooooh*, not that they don't still get ooh-ed at by me :D

Quick update, guys...No eggies this time around, but I've begun swinging the light cycle downwards (This time on purpose, and NOT because of a malfunctioning timer), and I have high hopes that once I (eventually) get the chiller, the addition of a slight temp drop will then result in babies, and more importantly, NOT during the middle of prac!
Many thanks to everyone for all your help over the past week!
Caitie, Freddie, George, Phree, Peta, Izzie and Bertie <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back