URGENT HELP PLEASE.. dont know whats going on?!

caseeybrown

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Casey :)
I noticed my axies gill go red at the tip the other day and thought nothing of it but then looked today and its gone kinda white and looks dead at the end i was going to post pics of it and such later on but this is more urgent now..

Just had a look in his tank and theres hundreds of VERY very tiny white things crawling around on the glass, i can only presume its some kind of bug, they seem to be oval shaped with a tail but theres no way i can get a pic theyre that small

SO WHAT DO I DO NOW?! :(
Dont know if theyre going to harm finlee, should i take him out, should i fridge him... Help please!!!

Tank:
Finlee by himself
Java fern
Java moss
Filter
Sand
Two hides
Bogwood
Feeding jar
Plastic plants
Hammock suckered onto the wall

(The live plants arent new either so dont know where the bugs have come from)

hmmmm if that was me I'd be rather worried about the little bugs - have you got a temporary tank you can move him into?

Fridge could also be a good option - either way I'd suggest getting him away from the bugs as they can't be good for him ...

I do have a spare tank but its not cycled and would be way too warm for him cause its small the water gets warmer.

Ive put him in a bucket with water from his tank but syphoned the water from the centre of the tank as the bugs seem to just be on surfaces.. And to make things worse theres loads of baby snails in there too now -__-

Should i take all his decor out to dry so the bugs die? How annoying i dont want him stressed :/

The bugs arn't any harm I got them in my turtle tank and after a bit of reashurch I found out there ok, they only apear in cycled tanks.I got rid of them by doing a 100% waterchange but it wasn't nesesary (I don't regret it though because the turtles substrate was filthy)
Don't worry about them they won't harm your axie, but I would be worried about the white gill tips they may be fungas or the tips may be dead, so yes fridge him. I don't think them being red a few days ago meansmuch though it probably ment he had a lot of blood in his gills.
What are the water perimaters?
Has Finlee been eating recently I heard he stopped eating.
Any more questions feel free to ask.
Sam:happy:

No sam its just the very tip of one of his gills.. Not all of them. And it was redder than the rest of his gills, im thinking maybe he got too close to the filter and it got sucked in or something. Sam i got him in a bucket.. I dont like the look of the bugs due to the fact theres loads of them.. I think ill just empty his entire tank and get rid of the live stuff cause its a pain with the snails. Hes eating fine, hes a pig and it isnt bothering him that hes now in a bucket with his dinner instead of his jar

Yey they breed fast but there really not dangerouse. You will get rid of the snails if you do a 100% waterchange but if you do do a 100% waterchange then you risk uncycling your tank. I would put him in the fridge because of the white gill.

I may have sourced the problem.. My filter isnt working! And theres snail eggs inside the filter!! Very annoying. Im going.to have to just buy a probably.not very good filter from ebay now.

Guys just wondering, using chlorine treatment on axie water - SAFE? As theres not enough time to leave water out so ill have to use treatment

The little bugs are copepods. They're normal. A bloom of them probably means there's some uneaten food around.

Are you sure theyre ok, wont they harm finlee? Its probably because the filter broke.. Would it be ok to put finlee back in his tank then?

I may have sourced the problem.. My filter isnt working! And theres snail eggs inside the filter!! Very annoying. Im going.to have to just buy a probably.not very good filter from ebay now.

Guys just wondering, using chlorine treatment on axie water - SAFE? As theres not enough time to leave water out so ill have to use treatment

ITs best allways to use decloranater as british tap water also contains cloramines which don't evaperate and other chemicals apart from clorine.

Caseey,

your snails will have come from the plants :(

I caught some on some Elodea i bought, luckily only 2, I used a seperate tank to start the plants off so i could isolate them.

Are you going to restart your tank?

I hope finlee is okay,

Yeah but i got the plants yonks ago! There was a total in five teeny snails ive found in the first month the tank was set up but there must be a big one somewhere if its reproducing? Stupid things. Well i got him in a bucket with a plastic plant bless him. Hes loving frozen bloodworm now.. Ate all if them i gave him in the bucket! He never misses one. Ill have to get a clear pic of his gill to show you guys though, its not fungus it looks dead

Ahh, thats good, Am i right in thinking that even if you siphoned the water snail eggs can get back in?

If you are going to restart your tank, you might be best seperating all the items into a spare tank and cleaning them. also it might be good to get some new substrate incase any of the snails have decided to make it a home ( dunno if they do that though) :)

Asda playsand £2.80 :D

Right, an update:

Emptied the tank and contents except the last cm of water and sand.. Hoping it will evaporate so tye bugs cant survive (would a hairdryer be ok to help :L )

And finlee is in a small tub with a small plant and a piece of plastic over it with a t shirt half over for darkness hes being a little fatty and eating so im guessing hes pretty good oh and his gill has got his colour back in his gill tip :)

Future:
No more live plants :(
No more nooks and crannys that more bugs can come from!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back