Environment enrichment - Could this be okay?

Alioth

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Display Name
Tess
Hey everyone!

I'm still a bit puzzled about what kind off stuff is safe to use in an aquarium and what is not. I know you shouldn't use rusty metals and stuff but what about plastic?

If plastic is safe it would open up a lot of possibilities. Just think about all the stuff they sell for use in a bathroom with sucker cups! Like these:

suction-cup-bathroom-utility-tray-702.jpg

The biggest one in the picture would be nice to make more levels in a tank, and in this way the space for our axies to hang out could be enlarged a bit without buying a bigger tank.

Let me know what you think!

Most if not all plastics are safe for axies. What is it made of exactly?
Sounds like a nice idia you could grow plants in them and have hides.
Sam

Ive got something to this affect and it works well, its a mesh hammock plastic coated and has suckers, works really well for extra levels :)

That sounds really cool! What a neat idea, I am all in favour of vertical gardening, this is perfect!

Wow thats such an awesome idea, I'd never thought about using it like that before.

That would be perfect. I imagine it would be safe when you consider the ornaments sold in shops for tanks are generally plastic. Maybe put it in a bucket first over a week and do a water test for changes in parrams? This wont tell you if its leaching toxic chemicals but if you left it in a bucket for a week or so and change the water every couple of days I imagine that would help wash it?

I'm no expert though, thats just what I would do if I was worried.

I believe that if a particular plastic is labeled as food safe or the like, it should be suitable for aquaria.

I finally found a soap dish with a sucker cup that would be suited for my tank :D No sharp edges etc :D (we'll ignore the fact that it is pink :lol: I hate pink) and it has the shape of a heart.
It only costed 1 euro so I brought it home. But before I put it in the tank, I want to be sure it is safe. On the back of it, it states that it can resist temperatures ranging from -20°C to 120°C : that seems OK to begin with.
Furthermore there is said that the material it is made from is PP. I searched google and found that this will probably mean: 'polypropylene'.
On google I found that this is not harmful, a lot of objects that are used for food consumption are made from this kind of plastic. But I want your opinions as well: Do you guys think this is safe for my beloved axies?

I've heard of people using the same thing for plant filters, I haven't found them yet, so I'm still using my eggcrate

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back