Salt baths not working!!!!!!

Catherine1

Reaction score
Country
Australia
hi everyone.
my axi Schpeakals has had mouth fungus for over seven weeks and i've been giveing her salt bath for 5 weeks and it won't go away. i've already tried anti fungus medication and that didn't work eather. what can i do?

So, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result.

What else could the problem be?

Perhaps look at your current set up, water conditions, temp, parameters - is there something in the mix that is causing the fungus to stick around?

Is it a fungus or something else?

Might be good to lay out all the tank specs for everyone here to have some ideas thrown around, some pics perhaps?

bren

So, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result.

What else could the problem be?

Perhaps look at your current set up, water conditions, temp, parameters - is there something in the mix that is causing the fungus to stick around?

Is it a fungus or something else?

Might be good to lay out all the tank specs for everyone here to have some ideas thrown around, some pics perhaps?

bren

she's been in a container for a fair while so i can get her out easily to give her the salt bath. i'm fairly sure it's fungus though. it was working then about a week ago it started comeing back.

some pictures would be a great help. fungus does not usually withstand repeated salt baths for very long.

what percentage of salt are you using? are you 100% sure it's fungus?

some pictures would be a great help. fungus does not usually withstand repeated salt baths for very long.

what percentage of salt are you using? are you 100% sure it's fungus?

well i brushed some off the other day and it felt like fungus. i'll upload some pics A.S.A.P. i'm not sure about the percentage of salt (i suck at maths:p) but it's roughly 4 teaspoons to 2 liters of of water, which is what a friend said to do, (she's a vet-in-training) twice a day.

Hi Catherine,

I´ve just read all your threads and posts on caudata since you joined this forum. It´s difficult for all the members here to follow the continuity of your problems, because you´ve always started a new thread about the same problem.
I don`t want to be rude, so I think it´s better to write no summery, but I want to give only one advice:
Please take her to a vet (a promoted vet) ASAP!
It is not fungus - it is an infection!
.....and she needs antibiotics ............or she will die as the other axie did.

Did you already buy a test kit?
What are the water parameters?

Good luck!
Tina

i realy want to take her to the vet, i realy do, but the local vet is extreemly expensive and i'm still to young to get a job my self and mum refuses to pay:mad:.
the tank is 60cm by 35cm by 15cm.
no i don't have a testing kit. can i get one from the pet shop?
this morning a heap of the stuff fell out of her mouth and she's perked up heaps to. here's some pics but it's not very good. i'll get a better one soon.

Attachments

• Snapshot 19.jpg
    Snapshot 19.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 201
  • Snapshot 24.jpg
    Snapshot 24.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 201
  • Snapshot 20.jpg
    Snapshot 20.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 196
You need to stop handling her as this will cause more problems!!

Mel

You can get the test kits from the pet shop. Liquid test kits are best.

I'd be very worried about the water conditions if this is a re-occuring infection. An infection really needs to be treated by a vet. If it was fungus the salt baths would have fixed it by now and at this stage they are probably just stressing her out.

Have you checked the tempreture of the tank? If you don't have a thermomoter you need to get one.
What has she been eating? How often?
How often do you do water changes? How much water?
Do you add de-chlorinator?
What substrate is she on?
Is the tank filtered?

You can get the test kits from the pet shop. Liquid test kits are best.

I'd be very worried about the water conditions if this is a re-occuring infection. An infection really needs to be treated by a vet. If it was fungus the salt baths would have fixed it by now and at this stage they are probably just stressing her out.

Have you checked the tempreture of the tank? If you don't have a thermomoter you need to get one.
What has she been eating? How often?
How often do you do water changes? How much water?
Do you add de-chlorinator?
What substrate is she on?
Is the tank filtered?

right now (because i've been giveing her saltg baths, she's in a container but normaly she's in her tank.
i did have a thermometer but i dropped it and it smashed so i nee to buy a new one. she's eating incredably well. she was skinny for a while so started feeding her more. now she eats twice a day until she reaches a healthy weight (wich isn't far off).
right now, i change the water in her container evey 2 days. while she's in the tank i change it every couple weeks to a month and replace 3/4 of the water but before i put her back in to the tank after the last time i tried the salt baths i did a 100% water change to make sure that the water was actualy clean. i have no chlorine in my water because i have a water tank that collects rain water wich is cleaned without chemicals by the tap. yes my tank is filtered, although the filter may be a little strong.:eek:

Melfly.
i do realize that handleing her can cause more problems but it was the only way to get the photos because of the type of camera.

should i be worryed about her eating so much?

i stopped the salt baths and the stuff's started growing increadbly fast.

Catherine, I too don't want to come across as rude, but i'll be blunt.

The advise you've had so far is -

* Please get to a vet
* Please tell us your tank parameters in detail (which requires test kits)

I think you need to take a deep breath and focus. Your posts are coming across a bit scattered and panicy, no doubt because you are worried about your axie, thats ok, but its not helping.

I can see money would be an issue, but it is not the be all end all.

* A test kit does not cost that much. - this one has all you need and from this site about $30 cheaper than you will find in your LFS - Aquarium Supermarket - API Freshwater Master Test Kit - 800 tests! - ok , $50 is a lot for a student, but i reckon it's only about 3-4 carwashes, 2-3 lawns mowed, 4-5 yards raked, 2-3 garden beds weeded - how bad do want your guy fixed? Perhaps knocking on a few neighbours doors will see your test kit paid for quickly

* Have you rung a local vet? Talk to them. Be honest. Explain your current money dilema, and your concern for your axie, there may be a payment arrangment that can be made. If you don't ask, you will never know

Right now, you are right back where i first started - doing the same things, and expecting a different result.

Please, as a starting point, give us a clear, concise list of all the tank conditions & parameters, and give your vet a call. You need to take an action, and doing nothing is taking an action as much as calling the vet is.

bren

i'll talk to my parents and try to get them to take her to the vet. i have a bit of money but i don't think it's even close to enough. if this is some type of infection, roughly how much would it cost to get it fixed at most vet clinics? i'll go to the pet shop the next chance i get and see if they have any testing kits (we have a crumy pet store to be honest). i'll put up more info about the water quality etc. as soon as i can.

i talked to my parents but we're realy struggling with money right now. i stopped the salt baths and whatever Schpeakals has became worse and it's spred. now there's some on her toes but some of it i just sort of brushed off. i started doing the salt baths again and it went down again...

I think, this will be my last answer, because now I am very peeved ….. and yes, now I am probably rude.

For many weeks you let suffer poor Schpeakals without helping her the right way. Why did you ask for help when you don´t care out tips and suggestions? :confused:

All members here were trying to help you, but you always ran out of excuses.
I truly tried to be kind and wanted to help you by PM, because I thought it would be unpleasant for you to post private or financial problems in the forum. But the only answer I got was my own quoted PM without any answer – not even a “hello”! :mad:

Now another week is gone and what have you done to solve the problems?

I don´t ask anymore if you bought a test kit, I don´t ask anymore what the water parameters and the temp are and I don´t give you any advice to take her to a vet, but I want to give only this last advice: please look for a new home for Schpeakals to prevent her from further suffer and pain!

If you keep a pet, you have to take care for it and if you don´t want to take care, you shouldn´t keep a pet!

Just my two Cents ....... and that´s all!

Tina

Your problem is probably your water condition. You said you change the tank a couple of weeks to a month and the tub that your axo is in once every two days. You should be doing 20% water changes at least once a week for your tank and while your axo is in the tub the water should be changed everyday.

It sounds like everyone here is trying to help you though I must admit that something does seem to come up preventing you from doing something everytime. I'm not trying to be rude but I hope you understand that everyone here is trying to help.You don't lose out on trying to call a vet for a price approximate or just to see if they could help out in any way with consideration to your financial issue. It's better than admitting defeat before even trying. The call to a local vet or your local pet store to see if they would be willing to help or do a free water parameter test ... would probably be better than to seek for other remedies/advice that ultimately leads you back to square one.

Time is of the essence for your axo and his deteriorating health. Wish you and your axo all the best.

I think, this will be my last answer, because now I am very peeved ….. and yes, now I am probably rude.

For many weeks you let suffer poor Schpeakals without helping her the right way. Why did you ask for help when you don´t care out tips and suggestions? :confused:

All members here were trying to help you, but you always ran out of excuses.
I truly tried to be kind and wanted to help you by PM, because I thought it would be unpleasant for you to post private or financial problems in the forum. But the only answer I got was my own quoted PM without any answer – not even a “hello”! :mad:

Now another week is gone and what have you done to solve the problems?

I don´t ask anymore if you bought a test kit, I don´t ask anymore what the water parameters and the temp are and I don´t give you any advice to take her to a vet, but I want to give only this last advice: please look for a new home for Schpeakals to prevent her from further suffer and pain!

If you keep a pet, you have to take care for it and if you don´t want to take care, you shouldn´t keep a pet!

Just my two Cents ....... and that´s all!

Tina

i did send a message back. i sent all the tank peramters and everything to you and i'm sorry that i apeared to be rude. i did get vet advice and it wasn't an infection. something is stuck in her throat and she's healing nicly now. i truly am sorry for seeming rude and not listening...

i did send a message back. i sent all the tank peramters and everything to you and i'm sorry that i apeared to be rude. i did get vet advice and it wasn't an infection. something is stuck in her throat and she's healing nicly now. i truly am sorry for seeming rude and not listening...

Thank you for having the guts to come back with the update. I've removed your negative rep (the red dot).

Any idea what got into her throat? If she is on gravel or pebbles, you should remove them, as that may have been the cause.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back