Question: Happy Axolotls?

Lizz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Lizz
How can you tell if your axolotls are happy and if they like you? (If you don't want to read all this skip to the last line please.)

I think Ubu likes me because she swims around my finger, lays in my hand and comes to the edge of the tank if I'm there. When Ubu lays in my hand she'll let me close it around her (not tight, but like a log) and pet her head lightly with my thumb. Ubu had an arm missing when I got her. She's still very small. Is this because she had to regrow her limb? Ubu also plays with the suction tube when I'm cleaning, she'll chase it and try and get under it, I have to shoo her away so she doesn't get sucked up. She also likes to push around the moss balls and play tug of war with her worms.

Sage is more of a loner, he doesn't come out for food until I'm done hand feeding them and have no more worms (I've been saving a few for when he comes out these days). Sage does this when I give them attention too, when I start to pull my hand away out of the tank, he swim up to greet me. I don't know if he's shy or unhappy. Ubu and Avery swim around a lot more than Sage. Sage sits more on my hand than in it.

Avery will sit in my hand but she also likes to nip at me if I am staring to move my hand towards another axolotl. Avery is the biggest axolotl and seems to be growing fine. He swims around quite a bit and will also greet me at the edge of the cage.

Their aquarium is too small in my opinion, it's a 20 gallon. I'm building them a new aquarium (with my friend who owns a glass shop). The new aquarium is going to be 72 inches long by 24 inches wide and 18 inches high. So.. 6' x 2' x 1.5' x, I think they'll like it better.

I feed them live food quite a bit and clean there cage and water often. They have plants, shrimp, two hiding huts, some big rocks, moss balls, and a sand bottom.

Anyway back to the main question, what can I do to make them more comfortable and happy?

Im glad you are thinking of upgrading there tank size, i would say two hides isnt enough for 3 axolotls, some owners say 2 per axolotl, but i would say you deffo need 1 per axie :)

They sound like rather happy little Lotls :D

Haha yes they do! I will be having several when I redo their tank. I only had two huts because I ordered two axolotls, but got three! We will have the new tank done by next week and will have them in the tank soon. I will test the waters for about a week before I introduce them to the new tank and put some shrimp in to see how they react. Thank you for your response! =)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back