Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Egg questions

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Hi, i'm a new axolotl owner to a black female wild type (Taco) and a leucistic male (Melany... originally thought he was a girl).

Taco has been laying for over 24 hours, and after the first night, assuming she was finished, I separated the eggs for hatching. She then had a break for about 8 hours until I put a new plant in, and she kept going :eek:... she continued to lay through the night again.

Do axies usually lay for this long?

And because I separated the first round of eggs, there is quite a gap between the laying time of the first batch and the ones that were finished being layed the second night. Should I put the newer eggs into the same tank? Will different hatching times be a problem?

Also the middle of the eggs is half dark brown/white. I know white eggs in non albinos is meant to mean they are infertile, however they came out this colour, and they look healthy otherwise. Maybe because the father was leucistic?

I will post a photo when I get home tonight.

Thanks guys :)

melfly

Reaction score
Hello
Congratulations!
Yes they can sometimes take a while laying.
I wouldn't worry about putting all the eggs together as they will all hatch differently anyway.
The eggs sound like they are healthy to me, we have a lot of posts descrbing thesame egg colour as yours :D

I would however decide how many you will be able to rehome before raising too many.
You could get over run with axolotls and may not be able to feed them all or find homes for them all.

Mel

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
I will more than gladly take some off your hands!! A few of my friends are after 1 too and I'm sure my local pet store will take any that I can't handle.. Also I'm thinking of surprising my mum with one.. I know she'd love it and take extraordinary care of it!

I can probably take about 10ish eggs..

What part of Australia are you from??

:) Aimee.

yellowpebble

Reaction score

that’s good, thanks for the reply.

I am prepared for them, I have some brine shrimp eggs arriving soon and i will set up a hatchery.

I would like to hand some over however just in case! I’ll see how many are fertile in a week or so and then get in contact with people.

Of course I want to keep some too, maybe 5-10 fertile ones :D

I’m in Wagga Wagga, 5 hours from Melbourne, 6 from Sydney driving.

photos hopefully tonight

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
You are so lucky and it's sure to be a tonne of fun having baby axies :)

I'm not sure about a 5 hr drive though to get some eggs lol.. perhaps they could be posted..

Enjoy your preparations!

yellowpebble

Reaction score
I'm not sure how to post live eggs, i know people do it but i'm worried about movement and temperature ect. What are the general survival rates?

and how do you go about posting a live substance in liquid?

maybe we'll take a road trip to melbourne :D

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
I have no idea to be honest.. I just know tonnes of people on this site are always saying how they 'got their eggs in the mail'.. dont know the specifics..

We could always meet in the middle..

lea

Reaction score
I have never posted or received live animals but Im sure if you were to ask someone who has they would be only to happy to help you out with some advice. I do know you are unable to sent axies by mail to some places in Aust(WA and NT I think). So please check that out before you post anything.........

yellowpebble

Reaction score
cool, thanks. There is obviosly some sort of animal post? I can't see regular Aust.post handleing it too well :D

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
i sent an email to aus post enquiring.. hopefully we'll know in a few days..

turns out your axies are pretty much the same colours as mine just of opposite sexes... haha...

hopefully we still get a few leusistics (maybe from earlier gene mixing).. :)

yellowpebble

Reaction score
or copper wild types, like the father! the mother is the black one :)

sorry about bad quality, it was a bit dark

ax01.jpg

ax02.jpg
ax03.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1