Hi. newbie who's fallen in love with Axolotls

lorna

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Lorna
Hi, I'm a newbie who's fallen in love with Axolotls and haven't even got any yet. There just so cute looking and in the vids I look at, they seem to have such nice temprement.

Am reading up on what's expected of me and their environment. I have a 4ft tank, how many should I get. Do I have to get a filter or can I just do lots of water changes.

I'm after the pink ones if anybodies got any, preferably male and female.

Does the water have to be matured first like my fish tank?

Hi, I'm a newbie who's fallen in love with Axolotls and haven't even got any yet. There just so cute looking and in the vids I look at, they seem to have such nice temprement.

Am reading up on what's expected of me and their environment. I have a 4ft tank, how many should I get. Do I have to get a filter or can I just do lots of water changes.

I'm after the pink ones if anybodies got any, preferably male and female.

Does the water have to be matured first like my fish tank?
Hi! So glad to hear you're enthusiastic about Axolotls. It's always good to have new people in the community!
To answer your questions, I really think you should start with one or two, even though your tank could house more. Do you know how many gallons it is?
Filters are best in my opinion because they are less work, especially in a tank that size, but make sure you have one that doesn't create a lot of current.
Are you looking for a Leucistic (white with black eyes) or an albino (white with clearish eyes)? Make sure to check out the For Sale section of the forum.
I'm always here to answer any questions you have! As the proud dad of 4 axies, I think I have a fair amount of experience and wisdom to pass on. :p
Hayden

Hi Hayden, thanks for replying. erm not sure which type it is, it's got pink gills and black eyes! So cute!! Quite like the black ones as well might get one of each, Maybe a male and female so can watch cute little babies eventually, My tank is 24 uk gallons I believe...what type of filter is best?

I've tried to contact people on the for sale section and this site wouldn't let me, saying I didn't have enough privileges?:(

Is there a book that you could recommend for me to brush up on my knowledge of them?:smile:

Firstly, welcome!
There's something a lot better than a book. It's this forum!
Not only do you get an answer for your question, it tends to be a lot more accurate all round.
Everything I've learned is from this forum.
Checking out axolotl.org (it's at the top of the forum), is also a good idea.

You're talking about Leucistic axies.
It's often hard to tell what sex an axie is until they're grown, so you'll have to ask how old they are, or just hope you get a pair.

Just to help you on the colours,

Albino's = White skin red gills red/clear eyes
Luethistic (cant spell) = white skin red gills black/blue eyes
Golden albinos = Golden skin golden/redy gills clear/red eyes
Melanoid = Black/greyish marbled skin red/black gills
Wild = Greeny marble skin red gills and eyes can be similar colours to the greeny or different

Those are you basic colours but obviously some colours can get crossed from time to time :)

Im sure if you put something in the wanted section there are a few people with recent babies, i know of one from sheffield who im going to get 3 of my own from.

I will be using a sponge filter on my 3ft tank, using 2 of these Aquarium Fish Tank Biochemical Sponge Filter Air Pump N | eBay UK one at each end connected to a air pump. Should have ample filtration and oxygenate the water giving gentle flow, or you could go with an internal or external power/canister filter using a spray bar to avoid flow .

Goodluck and welcome to the forum!

Just to help you on the colours,

Albino's = White skin red gills red/clear eyes
Luethistic (cant spell) = white skin red gills black/blue eyes
Golden albinos = Golden skin golden/redy gills clear/red eyes
Melanoid = Black/greyish marbled skin red/black gills
Wild = Greeny marble skin red gills and eyes can be similar colours to the greeny or different

Those are you basic colours but obviously some colours can get crossed from time to time :)

Im sure if you put something in the wanted section there are a few people with recent babies, i know of one from sheffield who im going to get 3 of my own from.

I will be using a sponge filter on my 3ft tank, using 2 of these Aquarium Fish Tank Biochemical Sponge Filter Air Pump N | eBay UK one at each end connected to a air pump. Should have ample filtration and oxygenate the water giving gentle flow, or you could go with an internal or external power/canister filter using a spray bar to avoid flow .

Goodluck and welcome to the forum!

Leucistic :p The melanoid lack the iridescent pigments, possibly more I honestly can't remember at the moment as bed is calling! But they have no shimmer at all to them. To check shine a torch on their eyes and they won't have a ring around their eyes :) My wild, until her growth spurt appeared black, she has recently gone a very dark brown (only noticeable when the tank is light) and has purple gill filaments with green-ish iridophores (sp?) on the stalks :D a good place to look is Axolotls - Genetics and Colour

It is also a very good start for all axie related info :D Then anything you aren't sure on, spam away on the forums!

I wasnt going into too much detail just a simpleish explanation but thankyou for your input star :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back