Dayton, Oh (summer) Charleston SC (fall winter spr
Country
United States
Display Name
~~Eddie~~
Hey everyone!

ok so heres my current set up.

1 axo in a 10 gal with a hang on filter plunty of hides and hes doing great
1 axo in a 2.5 gal about to be moved to another 10 gal.
both about 3 in currently

thease two axos have never seen each other.

what i would like to do, is get a tank that will be big enough for the two of them full grow plus at least one if not two or three more....

im thinking a 55 or 75 gal?

would two sponge filters do the trick?
i plan on useing sand as a substrate
how many hids should i have? 2 -3 per axi?

once i have the new tank. 1st i will cycle the water (i know how to do this!!!)

how should i combine my two current axis? my guy Chomp (his real name is Poseidon! but hes been chompin at the water a lot lately so ive nicknmed him chomp chomp) seems to be a little more agreesive then my gf's (dont know the name) everythign i stick in his tank he attacks like its food!!!! i love it! but i dont want him to attack the other axi

:kill:
thanks everyone!

a 55 should be able to hold 3, but a 75 would definitly be better. I'd suggest a 40 breeder instead of a 55 because of the width. a 55 is longer than a 40 breeder, but 18 inches wide instead of a foot long wide just seems like a better trade off than an extra foot long

have you looked at axolotl.org? their housing section says you can fit up to 8 in a 55 gallon.... but that seems like a bit of a squeeze to me...

so i could do 3 in a 40 (is a breeder tank equal to "long") beacuse i was thinking something that was at least 4 or 5 feet long and at least a foot wide not too worryed about how tall it is!!!

but after i get the tank and cycle it how should i introduce my two axis to each other?

a 40 breeder is 38x18x17. It's just got more floor space than height

I wouldn't put more than 3 in a 40 breeder. I wish they were cheaper; I'd have a dozen!

I wouldn't put more than 3 in a 40 breeder. I wish they were cheaper; I'd have a dozen!
I know i just had to buy a new 40 breeder because I couldn't find a craigslist deal and I couldn't beleive how expensive they were

The best time to get 'em is to find out when PetSmart is having their $1/gallon sale. Buy as many $40 40-breeders as you can, then sell them on craigslist. Discount to the people who are buying them, profit for you!

ok i work at petsmart and i have never heard of this" alleged 1 dollar a gallon deal"....
but i am gonna start saving my pennies cause i am gonna get something when the time rolls around.... prolly a 75 gallon....

p.s i am not insinuating your a liar i am just shocked.... i am gonna ask my boss tonight!

p.p.s the one i work at only has 40 gal breeder reptile tanks not fish tanks... are you using the reptile breeder tank or a fish breeder tank????

I did lie. It's PetCo.

It should be an aquarium tank. Reptile tanks can hold water, but I've always been advised not to do so. i actually have a 40 breeder reptile tank with nothing in it, but I decided I didn't want to risk filling it with water in a 2nd story apartment.

ok soooo if i get the 40 breeder no more than 3? i already have 2 (one in each 10gal tank about 3in)
and i def want more than just ONE more!!!! im sure you all understand!

could i put 4 in a 55? and maybe 6 in a 75?

4 in a 55 is fine. 6 in a 75 is stretching it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back