Air pump woes

mekkha

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Melissa
Hey guys,
I'm starting to get really discouraged... it seems like I just can't get my aquarium right. :( Since it is summer here the temperature is rising. I decided to get an air pump. I went with aqua clear and bought an airstone.

Well not only is it noisy but the airstone is so powerful I'm glad there is no axie in the tank! Poor thing would be getting pushed around! There is no "setting" to lower it on my pump.

Should I just take the plunge and get a chiller (what kind? Are they noisy?) or return my aqua clear for another brand? Any recommendations?

I feel like I just can't get anything right and will be a horrible axie momma.

I have my airpump on a towel because the vibrations it makes were making a racket. Just stick in on a towel or something soft and it might get lower the noise it makes. I can't even hear mine anymore. Is the airpump actually lowering the temp?

to lower the amount of flow, have you tried putting a regulator on the airhose? i'm not entirely sure what they're called, but i have a little knob i attached to the hose where i can have more or less air go through. i found them by all the airstones and hose at my lfs. i also have my air pump on a folded up washcloth to cut down on the sound.

So far it isn't reducing the temperature. In fact the pump itself seems so warm I wonder if it will do more harm than good? It is on a towel right now and still noisy. :rolleyes: I'll have a look for a regulator, I hope my pet store has one. I'm in a pretty small town...

I really don't know what to do... I'll try it overnight and if by morning the temperature is still the same, I'm returning it for sure. Maybe another brand will work better?

i have a really long bubble wand right under my plant filter, and I wasn't expecting it to lower the temp at all, but oxygenation never hurts. I'm sure there's less powerful air pump at your petstore.

I wouldn't constrict the flow of air out of your pump. You run the risk of overloading your motor and burning your pump out.

They do (used to?) make pumps with an adjustable knob on them. I've got one, but it's old. I've had it for at least 5 years. I have no clue where I got it. I think it came in a random box of 'aquarium junk' at a yard sale.

I've never heard of air pump having any influence on temperature.

Switch the air pump for a smaller rated one.

I think the philosophy is that it increases evaporation, therefore increasing cooling.

But I agree, I think the effect on cooling will be quite minimal. You're better off investing your money in a set of fans.

Thanks everyone. I'm just going to get a nice air conditioner for the room :D. I also have a desk fan and a screen/mesh lid. Should keep the future axie happy. Since I already bought the pump I'm just going to return it and try to find a better one with an adjustable knob.

I hope that works.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back