Illness/Sickness: Injured N. kaiseri.....HELP!

ahritchie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Hugh
Hi, I'm very concerned about one of my N. Kaiseri's tail; I don't know how it happened but the tip of his tail (about half an inch) is almost completely broken off; it looks like it's rotting off or something. I just noticed this yesterday; I guess I could have possibly injured him by moving a large piece of driftwood used as a hideout a few days ago. He only has one tank mate who is the same size/age. What should I do? Amputate it with a razor or just let nature take it's course? Is there anything else I should be doing? (Do N. Kaiseri regenerate limbs/tails like other newts?) I apologize for the poor picture quality of my cell phone; If anyone has some helpful advice it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG00028-20110602-2240.jpg
    IMG00028-20110602-2240.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG00029-20110602-2240.jpg
    IMG00029-20110602-2240.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 116
It looks like it's either snagged on something or been chewed on my another newt. Do you have a filter that tail ends can get stuck in?

Assuming it's otherwise healthy I think it will be fine. The fungus indicates the tissue is essentially dead already so it's just a matter of time before it falls off. The wound will heal and the tail will grow back over time. You should watch for signs that the fungus or wound are spreading up the tail, this could indicate an infection which would require treatment.

Feed it well and keep an eye on it. I would be tempted to let nature take it's course rather than resorting to the stress of home amputation.

The tip of the tail has fallen off on it's own; so I guess I'll just keep a close eye on it to make sure it's not infected. In regards to the filter; I'm using one of the new Tetra Viquarium stream setups in a 29 gal....so there isn't really any way for him to get stuck except for the inlet holes on the "waterfall" rock portion. I don't think the suction is strong enough to pull a tail in however.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dLSVgS5Ax...1pI/Od6lojcWfcU/s1600/tetra-viquarium-500.jpg

In the past I have had 2 separate T karelinii get their tails bitten off by one pugnacious female. Both healed without a problem over time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back