Question: Axolotl assault.....should I separate them?

ahritchie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Hugh
Hi everyone, I'm somewhat new to axolotls, I have two GFP axies; one melanoid, one albino, both are about 5 months old now. The melanoid was a couple weeks older when I got them and has always stayed about an inch or two larger than the albino...the melanoid one is also much more aggressive especially at feeding time. Both are now between 6-8 inches long now. I noticed last night at feeding time my poor albino is missing his "hand" from his front limb, and one of his gills was bitten almost completely off....it seems he is being bullied by the melanoid axie. They are in a 29 gallon tank, heavily planted with several hides; and I feed them Rangen salmon pellets three times a week. Is it "normal" to have occasional tank mate injuries like this? I know axolotls have amazing regenerative abilities; but am still concerned and not sure if I should separate them (I would prefer to keep them together). Does increased feeding reduce aggression? What do some of you axolotl experts do if a tank mate bites off a limb/gill?

It's completely normal. Axolotls are opportunistic feeders, and will snap at anything that moves. Increased feeding may decrease their snapping at each other. You can also try to feed them at opposite ends of the tank.

If you notice the bigger axolotl is causing a lot of injuries on the smaller one, you may have to invest in a divider to keep them separated. As far as what happens with injuries, I'm of the 'wait and watch' campaign. I don't do anything with an injury unless it starts looking fungus-y or infected.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back