Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to Caudata.org, and I'd like some tips/advice on newts for a first time owner ;)

bdunbar12

Reaction score
Helllllllo all,

My name is Britani and I just got home for the summer from private school. 2 years ago, I wanted firebelly newts desperately and I had a tank and other supplies, but I couldn't get them because of private school. This summer, I want to get some newts.

This is where you guys come in. 2 years ago I had planned to get fire-belly newts, but exploring newts more I've found there are some other aquatic ones that are appealing to me.

First off, whats the minimum dimensions for a tank? I'd like something small like a chinese FB newt, so I don't need anything huge.

Next, can someone explain the cycling process to me and your method of doing it?

Lastly, any other tips/advice/experiences you'd like to share with me and pictures if you have them! You can post a picture of your newt, doesn't have to be a CFB :)

Thanks! ;)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Britani, you should look into some of the small European newts, the Triturus complex. They're small, colorful, and easily found as captive-bred specimens! A lot of Chinese FB newts are imported in terrible conditions.

You can keep a trio of any of the Triturus species in a 10 gallon tank, but the bigger your tank, the better you'll be. My personal favorite size tank is a 20gallon-long. It's a wonderfully versatile size tank. You WILL need a lid no matter what species you get, as salamanders can scale the sides of your tank.

Here's a link to all of our 'beginner' articles, and they should get you on the right path!

bdunbar12

Reaction score
Kaysie,

I read some of those articles and I didn't really understand the conditioning of the water along with cycling it. I'll look into that species you were talking about, but I have never seen them in stores. I don't know if I'll be able to find them...

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Most of the folks here get their animals directly from the breeders. These animals are 1.) vastly healthier than the majority of pet shop animals, and 2.) usually cheaper than the pet shops.

Conditioning the water means to remove any chlorine or chloramine that may be present in your water, especially if you're on a municipal water supply. This isn't as important if you're using well-water. Cycling the tank is the process of growing colonies of bacteria in your tank that will convert dangeriously toxic ammonia and nitrite wastes into much less toxic nitrate. It's really much easier than it sounds, I promise!

bdunbar12

Reaction score
I don't think there are any breeders around here. There's this place called zoo creatures that breeds thousands and thousands of snakes, and I know they sell CFB's. They sell things that are more unique than the average pet store, like chameleons and baby iguanas and stuff.

I'll try to see if I can find a breeder in the Mass area, but it doesn't seem plausible.

Thanks for the info on conditioning and cycling, too ;)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You can order from breeders and have them shipped too. A lot of people get so nerve-wracked about shipping animals, but I, and hundreds of other people, do it every year. I've shipped hundreds of salamanders, and never had any problems.

In fact, AJ is selling a very pretty Cynops ensicauda popei right now!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1