Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What next?

priesty

Reaction score
My female axie has stopped laying but what do I do next?

I have a tank set up for when my hatchlings are ready to go in there, in the mean time I have read that people put there eggs in any type of plastic container (i'm going to go for a unused washing up bowl and keep a towel over the top and place it in a cupboard), I understand I don't need to change the water for when they are eggs but I do when they hatch, and at that point I move them into individual containers in water from my main tank to stop them eating each other?

I have bought frozen daphnia and will be picking up some bbs when the pet shop has them.

When transferring my eggs to my container is there anything I should look out for? It seems most of the eggs seem to look like little yingyang symbols, is this normal?

the parents:

5ac16c49-1554-c698.jpg

Also I still have spermblobs in my tank, as I don't really want Mia to get pregnent again is it best I put her in the fridge for a couple of days to help her recover? (and hope the spermblobs go by that point)

Last edited:

Star

Reaction score
You don't really need to separate them until they start getting their back legs or there are drastic size differences really and even then it isn't a necessity if they are well fed I guess? My little guys, with the exception of one, have been housed together since hatching and there are no nipping injuries yet. They are 2 months old now. The wild type was separate for a while as it wasn't growing as quickly and was a tad deformed. It has caught up and is in with the 3 goldens now though :D

With regards with what to look out for, if the eggs are clouded then it means they are duds. Up to you if you bin them, keep them in with the rest or separate them I guess.

I don't have a mature male yet so couldn't comment on the spermatophores but in stead of leaving them, personally, I'd take them out and keep mummy separate for a good while so she doesn't get pregnant again or put a divider in the tank.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Your eggs sound normal. The best way I've found to keep larvae is to put 3-4 in individual sandwich containers. You'll get a little bit of cannibalism, but if you do your best to keep them sorted by size, you'll limit that.

Depending on what you use to feed your larvae, you'll need to change between 50-100% of the water in the sandwich containers every day. I like to use water from the adult tank, so I think you'll find that the best method too.

Frozen daphnia aren't really appropriate for newly hatched larvae. They need food that moves. So either you'll have to culture your own daphnia (which is easy once you get the hang of it), or you'll have to hatch your own brine shrimp. Daphnia live in fresh water, so you'll need to change the water a bit less. Brine shrimp will die in fresh water in a couple of hours, so you'll have to be quite diligent about cleaning the tubs less you want the brine shrimp to make your little tubs inhospitable.

If you take the female out, and then reintroduce her, your male will probably see that as a 'new' opportunity, and actually lay MORE spermatophores. If your pair doesn't spawn frequently, you can keep them together. But if they're spawning too much, this can stress your female and you'll need to separate them either with a divider or into separate tanks.

priesty

Reaction score
Thanks for the info :)

Re food then, which is the easiest to grow yourself?

I think I prefer the sound of daphnia (Live Daphnia) however at 0.59p a bag that seems cheap and I don't know how many bags I will need before I start feeding them more grown up food......

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Start culturing them now. Daphnia is pretty easy to culture. The less you mess with a culture, the better. Here's an article on how.

Brine shrimp are easy to hatch, but it's pretty hard to culture at home.

priesty

Reaction score
Start culturing them now. Daphnia is pretty easy to culture. The less you mess with a culture, the better. Here's an article on how.

Brine shrimp are easy to hatch, but it's pretty hard to culture at home.

How long does it take to cultivate?

I guess I'll try and order them over the weekend, I'm going to take the eggs out of the tank tomorrow (hopefully) using water from my main tank and go from there.

Just to clarify whilst it's still eggs I don't need to worry about the water to much?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a bag of 800 daphnia, and used the culture for 6 months.

Correct, there's no need to do much with them when they're eggs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1