Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is my axie sick

crazylady

Reaction score
Hi i just got a axie seems uphappy doesnt lift it head much an moves very slow the tank is temp 18c water is right by my local pet shop of who she came off said as they came an tested the water she/he is my very first axie an i just worried with her been new or could she e ill an streesed with moving in to her new home she is eating blood worm after few spits she is in a tank which is a hexagone goldfish tank which the pet shop said was fine but i am planing on putting her in my 2 foot tank which is cycling an should be about ready for her also should i move her if she/he is ill or leave it were it is untill it getts more active thank you for your help

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That sounds like normal axolotl behavior. An active axolotl is a stressed or sick axolotl. They're inherently lazy critters.

She'll definitely need a bigger tank, and she should not be kept with goldfish. This can be dangerous, as goldfish have been known to bite the gills and limbs off axolotls.

Have you read through the axolotl site yet? It's the best place for beginners to start.

crazylady

Reaction score
thank you for replying i have read abit about them an read abit on this forum i glad it came up on google :D thank you for putting my mind at rest i just dont want to make my axie ill or stressed out glad to hear this is normal for them do you think she would be ok to go in her 2 foot tank now or should i give her abit more time to settle axie is alone at the mo due to been first an only small tank an me been new to keeping them

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
How big is she? If she's tiny, you should keep her in a small tank, but if she's bigger than 10cm or so, you can probably go ahead and get the bigger tank set up. Have you read about cycling yet? It's an important aspect to setting up a tank!

crazylady

Reaction score
she will be about 10 cm ive only had her since Wednesday i ve the tank cycling now has been going since Thursday morning i need to get a testing kit as i dont have one myself i just feel bad because her tank is small i just dont want to rush an give her a bad time or leave it an still end up the giving her a bad time i did notice her gills were forward so i changed the fiter in her tank an she does seem better

crazylady

Reaction score
my axie when i first got her since this was taken the gravel has been removed as advise read on here

Attachments

• 02-06-11-23-54.jpg
    02-06-11-23-54.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 133

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to hear you removed the gravel! That's the number one beginner mistake.

If you already have the large tank available, get that set up now and start cycling it. Cycling can take upwards of 6 weeks, give or take. While that tank is cycling, you can keep her in the smaller tank and do frequent water changes, maybe 10% daily or every other day, depending on how much volume is in the tank.

crazylady

Reaction score
thank you i will do that the bigger tank has been set up an running for 2 days ill get a test kit tomorrow i do have a small filter on the tank she is in on very low as not to cause a current an thats helping keep her tank clean i will stop worring so much now an keep my eye on things fingers crossed in a few weeks she will be happy in her new tank thank you so much for your help me an my axie very much appreciate it

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's what I'm here for! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. There are a ton of knowledgeable folks around here.

crazylady

Reaction score
quick update on my axie in the last 2 days she has pooped 5 small pebbles bless her she is abit more active an holding her head up an actually swimming every so often i think she must of been impacted with them pebbles

Attachments

• 05-06-11-13-08(001).jpg
    05-06-11-13-08(001).jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 144
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1