Cynops Orientalis kept with fish

TheNewt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Simon
A friend of mine, who is very into his fish keeping, saw my tank of Cynops Orientalis and wants some. I would like to point out before anyone says, I keep mine on their own as a single species tank.
I told him they wouldn't get on with tropical fish due to the temperature but was wondering if they were removed and fed in a separte container (As I'm sure the fish would out compete them for food). Would they get on with some of the smaller species of coldwater fish (such as White Cloud Mountain minnows/Tanichthys albonubes)?
I read on one website that they may release a toxin similar to fire bellied toads but haven't read on anywhere else, I know said toxin isn't as potent as the FBT but would also like someone to shed some light on this.
Can anyone help? I'd be most grateful.

H.orientalis can be kept with certain species of small, non-agressive fish like Tanichthys albonubes, as long as the number of fish is small, there is plenty of space for everyone and there are densely planted areas where the newts can "scape" the pressence of the fish. Personally, i think that a different scenario than that is likely to cause problems.
You have to consider that in order for it work, it must be a species of fish that thrives at the range of temps that newts need. It´s most definitely not ok to put newts in tropical aquaria...it´s sadly very common, but it´s a terrible idea.
You also have to consider the individual preferences of the newts. Some show no signs of stress in the moderate pressence of it, but many others react to their pressence. They cn after all detect fish chemically, and in the wild they actively seek and inhabit fishless waters.

About the toxins, you may enjoy this article:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/toxin.shtml

Keep in mind that newts prefer fishless ponds in the wild.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire... +1
    Back