Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Floating/bloated axie...gotten worse =[

Dodger

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, my axie's rear end started floating. I read that it could just be gas, and to keep an eye on her. I did, and after a few days, she started to develop a little lump near the base of her tail (first picture). She started floating more and more, and I noticed that one morning she was extremely bloated (second picture). She hasn't been eating much lately, but even when she did, she was picky. I've been trying to alternate between blood worms, earth worms, and pellets. She hasn't eaten in over two weeks - just doesn't show any interest.

Her substrate was gravel (I initially thought she could have swallowed a rock, but they're big, and now that her whole left side is bloated, I don't think that's the case anymore), but I cleaned out her tank with new water and sand instead of gravel, just to be safe.

Right now I have her in a container with water up to her spine. It seems less stressful for her than just floating to the top of her tank like she's been doing...I can only imagine how frustrating that could be.

So...my next move is to start looking for a vet, unless anyone can offer any suggestions? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG00449-20110529-1925.jpg
    IMG00449-20110529-1925.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG00458-20110604-1349.jpg
    IMG00458-20110604-1349.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 523

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Poor little axolotl.

I would take her to a vet sooner rather than later, in the mean time keep her cool and covered to reduce stress.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1