Moss balls... are they good for an axie tank?

mamatoulouse

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hello i was thinking of getting some moss balls for my uninhabited...axie tank...
i like them cause i dont have to worry about them being uprooted...
i was thinking about getting some off eBay....

anyone have experience with them?

I think most people use them. I've got one, I want some more but finding decent ones is a bit hit and miss around here for a decent price. My wild type has taken a chunk out of hers :p a few other peoples' have as well but all in all they're quite safe

I've seen people on here have them in their tanks for their axies to play with. I'll be getting some once I have an axolotl :lol: .

I had one, and I attempted to divide it. It then became a game of 'shred the moss' for the axies. They enjoyed it thoroughly!

I think they're pretty, and they're easy to care for.

Well they look darn cool for a start! My lot like them, they occasionally roll them about but more by accident than design I think! Useful for barricading the front of the cave, apparently (see pic)

Albi once utterly destroyed one and ate most of it, making him quite ill, but it hasn't happened since, or to any of the others.

Attachments

• photo-9cave.jpg
    photo-9cave.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,183
I have a ton in my tank and love them I got mine off ebay if you like let me know and I can send you the seller name I got them from

i actually just ordered 3 off ebay... i am also thinking of getting some java moss... i hear that live plants help keep the environment stable... also they are some of the only plant i can think of that don't require substrate....

mewsie i notice you have some mesh looking stuff behind the axies hide whats up with that?
i hear you can use that stuff for java moss to grow on, the mesh, to make a wall or carpet for your tank... i would love, love a java moss rug in my tank

I've had mixed success with moss balls - I bought 15 I think! 3 went into my cherry shrimp tank + they're great there. 1 went in with my 2 baby leucies, to help oxygenate their baby tub with no filter (daily water changes, LoL!) + the rest went in with my friend's axies - but the earthworms have mutilated most of them!!! Because that tank is bare-bottom, the worms are desperate for somewhere to burrow + pick on the moss balls. A tank with sand would probably be fine though.
As for the background in Mewsie's tank - I can't tell from my laptop, but I'm assuming it's a moss wall. Just type "moss wall" into Google (or whatever search engine you prefer) + you'll get plenty of info on how to make 1, plus the materials you'll need. Alternatively, typing "moss" into eBay works pretty well too ;)

mewsie i notice you have some mesh looking stuff behind the axies hide whats up with that?
i hear you can use that stuff for java moss to grow on, the mesh, to make a wall or carpet for your tank... i would love, love a java moss rug in my tank

'tis going to be a moss wall! When it finally grows... so in about 2 years or something!! In the meantime the axies like climbing it!

(You were right, Jo ;))

Mewsie, are your moss balls weighted? I currently have one in the tank that floats which is kept weighed down by a sinker and some fishing line. Would love to know where to get a couple from for the bottom of the tank like yours :happy:

is yours a real moss ball or the ones made with java moss and polystyrene?
if its a real moss ball i have heard that they will move around on their own in orger to try to get more light.(up) less (down)

Mine are real, but still only 3-5cm + they stay on the tank floor, but they do get moved around by the axolotls + they really collect the poop :eek:

You can clean them out just like a sponge filter.

I really like my moss ball i squeeze it gently when i clean it to keep its shape then it floats for a few hours. I always turn it to because it seems to be brighter green on the part that is against the bottom of the tank which i think is a bit odd because that part doesnt get any light.

I love touching them.... we sell them at my work.. I am always trying to get people to buy them but people rarely do....

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow sometimes living in the less wild part of the world does give you more options! I have never heard of, or seen moss balls, are they a naturally occuring ball of moss?

:lol:I just went and googled it isnt wikipedia great:lol: I am jealous they look really cool. Unfortunately almost gauranteed to be listed as a noxious pest in our country, so i will remain envious.

Last edited:
Mine are real, yesh. I bought them from eBay, and I love them. One naturally broke up and died, so I destroyed that and Albi ate one :)rolleyes:) but the rest are brilliant - I just held them under the water and squeeezed the air out.

I want some more, cause they are lovely. I wish I could grow that kind of algae on some of the ornaments in my tanks! Nice soft carpet ^_^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back