Is Cadbury full of eggs?

tenealet

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys,
We bought a new axolotl to add to our growing family last week and she is so big in the belly we are wondering if she is going to lay eggs. I have no idea whether she was with mature males before we brought her home or not. Cadbury is now in with males and females, although probably only one male who is sexually mature enough to breed.

We have a chiller on the tank and are currently running the temp at 17 degrees. There is no gravel in our tank, we use large polished rocks as we have had axolotls eat the gravel before. Although, as I said she was very bloated looking when we bought her a week ago and she could have potentially swallowed gravel earlier.
She is eating well, (blood worms, beef heart & meal worms) and looks to be in very good health.

I have posted a photo of Cadbury (she is the colour of milk chocolate!) If anyone can let me know what they think that would be great. I would love for her to have babies, just hope I can raise them successfully if she does!

Attachments

• IMG_1675[1].jpg
    IMG_1675[1].jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_1674[1].jpg
    IMG_1674[1].jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 324
She does look rather rotund . I would keep an eye on her and see what happens. What is her diet ?

We feed them all meal worms, blood worms and beef heart. I'm not sure what she was getting before we got her though and we have only had this one a week.

I wouldn't feed them meal worms as the chitin skin on them is hard to digest. Ideally try to feed earthworms as their main food source. As she is an adult I would only feed her twice a week.
I really like the name you chose for her and look forward to seeing more of her.

wow I didn't realise that, we normally feed them beef heart and blood worms, only got the meal worms this week on the recommendation of the lady we bought most of our axolotls from. Cadbury and one male are quite a lot bigger than the rest of the gang and we normally feed them every second day. The others would be still growing, would you feed them more often?

Beefheart and bloodworms are both pretty low in calcium. Like Julia said, earthworms are one of the most nutritionally complete foods you can offer.

I feed my axolotls daily until they're about 5 inches, then cut back to every other day. Adults (once they stop growing) get fed twice a week. Maybe 3x a week in the summer.

Just wanted to say, Cadbury is a beautiful colour! I wish we could get those morphs over here :)

she is so cute and fat! and such a pretty colour :)

i would just keep an eye on her, and maybe feed her a bit less? my big male is quite fat, we thought he was a famale at first... turns out he just eats too much!

good luck

Hi
Please correct me if im wrong but I thought that mature females "carry" eggs the whole time and only lay them once fertilised. Thats why adult females are fat and rounded? My two adult females look pretty similar to cadbury.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back