Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Fridging?

Trappers

Reaction score
Evening all,

I haven't been on here for a while and haven't gotten around to filtering through all the threads to find what I am looking for. I don't mean or intend to waste anyones time by 're-posting' something thats already been done.

I have been a breeder of axies for over 2 years now and have never learnt the 'skill' of fridging and what it is used for to 'cure' so to speck.

About a month ago I gave my last axie (from last lot of eggs) to my nephew who is just as fascinated as me about axolotls, but last week he told me the young fella has been floating (young as in little, hes about a year old just was in a small tank), I have heard that 'fridging' can help them when they have trapped air bubbles, I just haven't had the guts to do is as I don't know all the facts.

So, can anyone inform me of the procedure or point me in the right direction for some detailed information of this?

Much appreciated :)

Trappers

smily sam

Reaction score
I don't think you have to fridge your axie just because its floating unless hehas gravel or rocks in him.

Just incase you do have to fridge an axie here are the simple steps to fridging an axie.
1) turn down your fridge to its lowest seting
2) prepare a container with clean water that has bean treated with water conditioner
3) put axie in container
4) put container with axie in it in the fridge

Hope I've helped, your axie, if you ever put it in the fridge, may not eat while in the fride as axolotls metabolism slows down in cooler tempurtures.

If you have aqny more questions feel free to ask.
Sam:happy:

Trappers

Reaction score
I don't think you have to fridge your axie just because its floating unless hehas gravel or rocks in him.

Just incase you do have to fridge an axie here are the simple steps to fridging an axie.
1) turn down your fridge to its lowest seting
2) prepare a container with clean water that has bean treated with water conditioner
3) put axie in container
4) put container with axie in it in the fridge

Hope I've helped, your axie, if you ever put it in the fridge, may not eat while in the fride as axolotls metabolism slows down in cooler tempurtures.

If you have aqny more questions feel free to ask.
Sam:happy:

Thanks Sam,

The axies has a obvious air bubble trapped as it's a white one, I have seen this in my bigger ones however they didn't float and it was gone within a couple of days.

But thank you, now I know what to do :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1