Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tanks & Set-Ups?

passport

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to the whole newt thing and would love to see some shots of others' tanks and set-ups for Cynops. My wife's been keeping orientalis for years but in standard 10 gal tanks with tetras and occasionally one would escape. I'm trying to minimize any "newt liberation" attempts at the moment. Currently we have 2 subadult cyanurus being kept in a large size Exo-Terra breeder box with a small pump, some gravel and plants, but they're close to out growing it and I'd like to get them into either a 5.5gal or 10gal tank. We also have a lone kaiseri at the moment and hopefully some popei on the way.

Any suggestions for escape proof tank tops and ideal substrates?

Thanks,

-Kevin

passport

Reaction score
I'd love to see your tanks!

Hey guys,

I'm new here and pretty new to newts. I'm currently keeping a lone subadult kaiseri and would love to see pics of some of your tanks. Currently my little buddy is in a large size Exo-Terra breeder bow with some gravel, a filter and some plants, but after finding this forum I think I need to revise his set up, as he's being kept like I'd keep a Cynops.

I'm planning on moving him into a 5.5 gal or 10 gal set up soon and would like to get his little habitat squared away when I do.

Also, are Neurergus prone to escape like Cynops are? Any suggestions one a good tank top to keep them in?

Thanks,

-Kevin

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score

passport

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I had already found most of those links and they were very helpful, but thank you for posting them anyways.

I'd still like to see some pics/hear from other keepers though.

In regards to the species mixing, my wife used to keep her orientalis with tetras and other small fish, but I put a stop to that right away. I have a long background with geckos and other lizards and know the potential disasters that can occur with mixing species.

thanks again,

-Kevin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1