Question: What could this be?

vampybabe

Reaction score
Country
England
A couple of days ago these weird deposits appeared on the slate floor of the tank, they look like the decay'ed remains of blood worm but I siphon any left over food after I've fed them. They appear to be stuck to the slate, I have to scrape the bottom to remove them but after a few hours there back again. Any ideas at what they could be?

www.caudata.org/forum/members/vampybabe-albums-weird-stuff-picture16368-p1030912.jpg

www.caudata.org/forum/members/vampybabe-albums-weird-stuff-picture16368-p1030911.jpg

www.caudata.org/forum/members/vampybabe-albums-weird-stuff-picture16366-p1030910.jpg

www.caudata.org/forum/members/vampybabe-albums-weird-stuff-picture16366-p1030909.jpg

They're the tubes of some small worm or larva. Pretty common in ponds. I wouldn't worry about them - they're not a threat to your axolotls.

As long as its nothing to worry about thats fine, it just looks horrible. Theres also tiny tiny worm like things wriggling around in the water but are minuscule in comparison to the marks left.

Urgh, I had those for a while in one of my tanks. Annoying to clean up! The axies were small enough to make tasty lunch out of the worms though!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back