Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dieing? Morphing?

cassie

Reaction score
This morning i woke up to find my axolotl floating and kind of proping him self up on the filter so he wouldnt sink. he didnt look good so i put him in the fridge for a while until my mom made me take him out. While he was in the fridge he floated sideways most of the time but once i put him in the tank he swam right to the bottom again and is just chillin out down there. He looks pretty normal other than his eyes are cloudy. I dont know if he has been eating because he is in with two other axolotls. He has been swiming to the surface alot to gulp air. Ive only had him for about a year but he was pretty small when i got him so hes not very old. Anyone know what could be going on with him?

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
This morning i woke up to find my axolotl floating and kind of proping him self up on the filter so he wouldnt sink. he didnt look good so i put him in the fridge for a while until my mom made me take him out. While he was in the fridge he floated sideways most of the time but once i put him in the tank he swam right to the bottom again and is just chillin out down there. He looks pretty normal other than his eyes are cloudy. I dont know if he has been eating because he is in with two other axolotls. He has been swiming to the surface alot to gulp air. Ive only had him for about a year but he was pretty small when i got him so hes not very old. Anyone know what could be going on with him?

Hi first off we need to know the water parametres and temperature... and then pictures of your axi would help.

Also what sort of tank is he in?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1