Question: Hatch Rate

Kabernas

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Kabernas
Hello,
I was just curious to know about what percentage of eggs laid will hatch?
Also a couple other random questions:
-I've seen GFP around in this section of the forums a few times, whats it mean?
-As well I'd like to know if there are any other common color types other than wildtype, melanoid, gold albino, white albino, and leucistic? (or commonly referred to color types)
Thank you for considering these questions,
Steven

I think it depends on the temperature and and how many batches the mother has laid. The first and second batch are generally quite a low hatch rate from what I've read.

GFP is Green Fluorescent Pigment. Basically the axies genes were spliced at some point and the pigment was injected into them. It causes a green iridescence to most in normal light, usually nice green eyes and they 'glow' when a black light is shone on them. I've also read of some work with Red FP as well but not seen any axies with it yet.

For colours your best bet is here: Axolotls - Genetics and Colour it explains a few. There are also a few other morphs such as copper and camouflage (not sure if it is the official name but if the breeder has a created a new morph then I guess it is :D)
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...75952-what-axolotl-colors-rare-your-area.html
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f57-axolotl-general-discussion-free-all/72854-colour-named-copper.html
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f62-axolotl-gallery/57052-my-camouflage-colour-axolotl.html are a few interesting links :) There's also a nice chocolate brown morph

Last edited:
Thanks!
So how would the GFP genetics work? Is it linked to any of the other colors or a separate chromosome?
While I'm at it does anyone know any other locations of genetic traits on chromosomes or are the 3 pigment types and leucistic the only known ones?

I'm not really clued up on genetics (should be since I sat an exam on it in May lol) so wouldn't like to hazarad a guess :)

Ouch! Have to love exams :p
I've got the basic genetics like what is required to understand the common color types down pact, genetics was always an interest of mine since I saw Jurassic Park as a kid. :p
Anyway, thanks for your help!

I love genetics, until I had to study it and had some boring lecturers! Then it was a case of meh :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back