What size tank for 4 axolotl?

A 55 gal will work fine, or a 40-long (same footprint).

Does that mean 40 inches long? Always confuses me, never known what it means :(

i was wondering about a 40 gallon breeder... 36" x 18" x 16"
i have a 24"x18"x14 inch tank now that's been cycling for maybe 10 days..with the help of my betta
i was thinking of using that to house a few of the baby axies till i buy a larger tank

Yes, I meant a 40 (gallon) long. This is 48 inches long. You know us silly Americans with our imperial system.

A 40 breeder has a smaller length (even though it's wider), so it's probably better suited for only 3 axolotls.

I just get confused with everything related to size in truth lol :p

i get all kinds of confused on this forum people are using all sorts of units of measure and when people start talking about money....i have no clue as to how it relates to the us dollar ... sad huh?

at least you dont have to worry too much atm with the aussie dollar.. thats pretty much equal atm eh?

though i have no idea what a pound is??

i meant a pound in money terms..?? dont you guys have that too???
lol I think Calum knew that and was teasing you a bit Aimz :happy: but for the record it's actually 0.45kg ;) Some other useful numbers to know

There are 3.78L's in every US gallon.
1 inch is 2.54cm and
1 foot is 12 inches (12x2.54=30.48cm)
1L of water weighs 1kg (2lb 3.2oz)

1 British pound sterling is currently worth $1.55 Australian so take any thing you see written in Pounds and multiply it by 1.55 and you'll be about right. Of course the exact exchange rate can change by the second :rolleyes: It's also worth about $1.64 US which makes the Aussie dollar slightly stronger against the British pound than the American $, for a change.
Finally AU$1 = US$1.06 at this moment, that will change in the next moment no doubt. which means I have a subscription to renew NOW before the aussie dollar weakens again ;)

To answer the original question 55 gallons would be perfect for 4 adult axies with a preference for longer and wider rather than taller.

Google is phenomenal for 'translating'. Just type in "5l to gal" and it should pop up with how many gallons equals 5 liters!

at least you dont have to worry too much atm with the aussie dollar.. thats pretty much equal atm eh?

though i have no idea what a pound is??

Today google says:

1 Australian dollar = 0.648478553 British pounds

When you type, "1 Australian dollar to pounds", google will convert, this is true for many valuta's.

From buying stuff on eBay, I remember that $10US or $10 AUS are both equal (roughly) to £6GBP. It's very rough, but easy enough to do rough calculations.
Think your thread has been well + truely hijacked Mama ;)

Also, if you end up looking on an enlish site, you may find that the 50 gal english tank is bigger than american,

English gallon = approx 4.54 litres according to wikipedia :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back