Advice for a newbie?

stargazer

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone!

I've been thinking about getting an axolotl for a while and have been doing some research online. I would appreciate any tips you guys might have...

I have a 'spare' 18 inch tank ( I keep fish) - is that big enough to start with, and maybe upgrade later when it grows? What do you recommend as substrate? I understand they like cool water rather than warm...will I need a heater at all (I live near Sydney)? Things like water level, filtration, any tips there would be good too...

Talk to me about axols!

Talk to me about axols!

Lol - that could open up a whole can of worms! (Literally!)

Your little tank would be ok for a baby/juvenile axie for a few months, but BOY do they grow fast! Be prepared to upgrade sooner than you think!

Substrate-wise, no gravel or stones that are smaller than your axies head (and remember ing that they grow fast, the stones should be bigger than an axies head will ever get) cause they eat by opening their mouths quickly, therefore sucking in - so in pop the stones...!

For the rest - I really could go on forever, but I'd recommend reading Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander and browsing the forums, especially the tanks/set up category for TONS of ideas!

Regarding the temperature in Sydney, one of the Aussie contingent will be along shortly to help I'm sure!!

stargazer.... have a look around the site that mewsie posted. It has all the info you will need.
I would get a bigger tank because they grow so fast and they are very addictive..you cant just stop at one:D. As far as needing a heater....you wont need one but you will need a chiller or a plan on how you are going to keep your tank cool and below the 18oC mark during our summers......a chiller is the best way to do this. Chillers are expensive but worth the money.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back