Illness/Sickness: My sisters sick axie

trygon

Reaction score
Country
Australia
hello this morning when my sister went to feed her axolotl she noticed one of her legs had swollen and that her groin looked different she is very worried and i would appreciate the help

thanks in advanced scott

sorry these are some photos i forgot to attach with the first messege

Attachments

• IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0740.jpg
    IMG_0740.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 219
I'm sorry I can't help you with the medical issues your sister's axie is showing, but I have some other advice that could save her axie in the future: ditch that gravel!! Gravel can be fatal to axolotls, as they can ingest it and impact their digestion, thus killing them. I'm new to axolotls myself, and so I'm unsure of the other problems... Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can jump in with suggestions, but I'd get her off that gravel ASAP.

i've been working on that for a while no where sells it...
i'm hoping ebay does

i've been working on that for a while no where sells it...
i'm hoping ebay does

Sell what?

You need to get rid of the gravel. It is entirely possible that the swelling is caused by axie having swallowed some already and is struggling to pass it. This is a serious problem with axies on gravel. If you have nothing to replace it with, leave the tank bottom bare.

Fridging can help axie pass the stones. Please read the instructions carefully.

Someone else may chip in with some other suggestions too. If fridging does not help, axie may need to see a vet - do you have one nearby?

Edit: in looking at the pictures again - there seem to be white patches on axies gills - are those new?

Have you checked the water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate etc?

The swollen cloaca is probably from the axolotl straining to poop out pieces of gravel.

You're going to get dozens of post telling you to take out the gravel. You need to do it now. Like, right now, this very moment. It's fine for an axolotl to have no substrate on the bottom of the tank. Having no substrate is much better than having gravel.

yes my sister already has removed the gravel from the tank but can anyone help me find a alternate solution from the gravel such as sand? or really large stones?

I use childrens play sand and i love it(make sure you wash it until your arms falls off before you add it to your tank tho). It is easy to clean using a turkey baster cause the rubbish sits on top. You can use slate tiles, large rock(bigger that the axies head) but the poop and yuk stuff gets stuck between the rocks and you cant see it to clean it, then your water parameters start playing up.....
You know you can leave the tank bare bottom as well. It is your choice.

i would but they don't seem to like it bare bottom, how much roughly would the childrens play sand cost??

its cheap, 5-10 bucks at most. get it from a nursury, or from bunnings. You only need a small amount to cover the bottom.

You can also get large flat stones from these places, but they are a little more expensice and are harder to clean. All the poop gets stuck in them.

If anyone has noticed, that looks like fungus on the axolotl's gills. You may want to start treating for that!

would you suggest a salt bath for that??

Well, if you think it is a fungus, you probably should. I can't see anything in the photos. If anything it means that the fungus is still in a early stage. There is a helpful tutorial on the site at the top of the page.

I actually can see the fungus. Yes, you should start doing salt baths.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back