Question: Can my axie have a friend?

scooty16

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Scooty
Hey Everyone, don't know if this has been asked already so sorry if it has!

I've had my axie for 2 years. What I wanted to know is, can I introduce a friend? Or do they have to be friends from the very beginning? I just didn't know if they were like some other animals who can make friends regardless if they were together there whole lives.

Thanks!

Yes you can add a friend , just make sure your new addition is of a similar size as axolotls can cannabalise smaller ones. You may have problems finding adults in pet shops so check out the classifieds on this and other sites.

You can add a mesh divider in the tank for a while to help them get used to each other - they'll be able to see and smell each other but not get across. Then when they get used to their new tank mate, you can remove the divider.

As Ian said, you should make sure they are similar size so that one doesn't end up as lunch.

Make sure that you have a separate tank to quarantine the newbie for 30 days+ before they share a tank, just to make sure nothing happens to your current axie :)

Thanks guys! Ive got one more problem. Ive never fed my axie earthworms before and ive just started. The thing is i feel so guilty for the worms. Am I just being silly? Im finding it hard to fed her a wiggly innocent worm :(

Studies have shown that earthworms don't feel pain in the manner that we feel pain. So try not to feel too guilty.

Thanks guys that makes me feel a bit better :happy:

What is the next best thing apart from earthworms? I am going to go see my partner for a week as it is his birthday. My mum usually takes care of my axie while I'm at his, but she says she doesn't think she can feed it the earthworms, which is fair enough, I would never want to force someone to do something they aren't comfortable with!

So is there a next 'live food' or 'yummier' food my mum can feed her while I'm gone? Seems like I've spoilt her with the earthworms as it is all she wants now!! :p She hasn't pooped for a week and half, do I need to fridge her? Or just keep waiting patiently?

Sorry for all these questions! :(

Sinking carnivore pellets.

But warn your mum that she'll have to clean these up pretty quickly if they don't get eaten. They can foul the water if left.

Poop rarely stays whole for very long. She may have pooped and it's already disintegrated into 'poo dust'.

Thanks Kaysie! I will let my mum know! :happy:

And yes! It does seem to disperse quite quickly! So heres hoping she did something!

Thanks guys! Ive got one more problem. Ive never fed my axie earthworms before and ive just started. The thing is i feel so guilty for the worms. Am I just being silly? Im finding it hard to fed her a wiggly innocent worm :(

Not at all! I still say thank you to every single worm for its sacrifice :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back