Swollen Cloaca ???

AxolotlTwins

Reaction score
Country
England
Hey i have two axolotls, one is a wild type named Ryuu & one dirty leucustic named Yukari. I've recently been feeding them on 2 frozen dillies (fish) each every other day and for some reason both of their cloacas have gotten abit bigger, im quite worried as im not sure what it is that caused it or why its happend. Are they ok or do they need fridging or have they got the gift :D Please let me know, thank You very much, Sian.

Tank is 4ft long, sand substrate, temperature - 20c (been rather warm in england so trying to cool it down), Nitrite - 0ppm, Ammonia - 0ppm, Nitrate - 80ppm, Ph - 8.

Pictures included.

Attachments

• Axies 005.JPG
    Axies 005.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 529
  • Axies 004.JPG
    Axies 004.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 679
  • Axies 006.JPG
    Axies 006.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 839
Looking at the swelling I'd say they could definitely be developing males :) With the frozen dillies though, they are good to fatten them up and as a treat, my wild type loves them but they will have weight issues if they are fed as a staple. The best thing to get is live earthworms. Either did them up or check the testimonials bit for some good UK sellers :D So much fun watching them stalk the worms or snap at them from your hand :) If you aren't keen on live earthworms then frozen or live bloodworms, well rinsed, are good too, they love them :D although bloodworm are very messy.
They both look like absolute beauties though! 20C is fine btw, my tanks tend to sit at that and mine are all very happy :)

Ahhh right thank you soo much for taking all worry away :happy: Oh thats really good news, i was hoping to have males hehe. Yeah iv tried them on earthworms b4 and they absolutely love them, ok i shall stick to mainly feeding them earth worms & bloodworms :D i'll give dillies as a treat then. Thank you soo much x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back