Observations

D

DingoDoo

My axys are now 93 days old now, out of the 15 that survived now have 11 left as sold 4 the other day, but I have noticed that the largest two i have act very similar to my african dwarf frogs.

The frogs sometimes go to the highest point and lay on a leaf or on top of the filter with the top of their snout just out of water and occasionally move their mouth up and take their gulp of air.

I know axys develop lungs and its obvious to see them swim up take a small gulp of air similar to the adf but dont dive bomb back down to the bottom like they do.

But, one thing I have noticed is that the axy do same things the adf do, they sometimes float near the surface with just their snout out of water, its cute to watch them....they also so tame with me that i can gently stroke their snout and back fin without them being stressed or swim away.

Does anyone elses do this?

on another note, i have tried gravel on the bottom of the 1.5ft tank i have with the two big axys (93 days old) in it and they do not like the gravel, they seem to move it out the way and make a clearing of the glass bottom. They seem to prefer the glass bottom and not the gravel.

I have also tried putting in a very slowfilter but they get freaked out by the current that i have stopped using it, the current was very very slow but even so they did not like it.
I have no problem spening time changing the water manually but seems mine does not like filters so will do without.

latest pics of mine at
https://picasaweb.google.com/110042...authkey=Gv1sRgCKruxa2B8vaYsgE&feat=directlink

and at

Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Axolotls - Follow the Eggs and Hatchlings

Please get rid of the gravel like Mr Poseiden has suggested....they will eat it and they could die....
Please try not to touch them.....I know they are cute but when you touch them you upset the protective mucus layer they have on their body, once that is removed you open your axie up to infections and fungus.....If you do have to touch them please make sure your hands are clean and wet. I have a girl that likes to sit on my hand when Im doing her tank but she in gently sitting Im not touching her....
My axie has found the blue light from the chiller under her tank and she moves the sand all the time, after tank cleans I put the sand back and when I get up the next morning she has moved the sand and found the pretty blue light again.....I think this is her way of telling me to leave her light alone:p
They all do weird and wonderful things just to keep us humans entertained.....

gee that was a bit long sorry

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back