Terrestrial chillers

jeskduh

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was wondering if any one could get me some good ideas or solutions to keeping my Spotted and Marbled Salamander cool during these hot Texas summer months with out leaving the a/c blasted on 24/7.
I have seen what seem to be some cheap home made chillers made out of ice chest. How and what materials are used to make the holes in those ice chest to connect the pipes/tubing to?
Any and all help/advice will help!
Thank you!

Yeah ive read that. What I really want to know is what tools are used to cut a hole in a ice chest because the chiller that I saw some one make was make out of an ice chest. No where have I found detailed instructions.

Hi,

Untill I get/make a more final solution, I've been cooling it by introducing refrigerated elements into the vivarium:
- Frozen water botles - I made a whole (just the right size and shape) in the gravel which is the lowest layer, where I place these. Then I cover them with rock slabs which tend to absorb the cool temperature and gradually release the coolness into the air and surroundings. I cover the slabs with moss. I change these 2 x day.
- A small tray with rounded pebles - I keep it in the freezer, and whenever I need a more intense or lasting drop of temperature, I replace another one that is already in the vivarium covered with moss, and cover it with moss as well.
- Refrigerated mist - I keep a hand mist pump in the refrigerator, and regularly cool and humidify it with this.

although not as simple as I would like, I've been managing to keep temperatures just as I intend, considerably lower then the room temperature at this time of year.

Pse note that with this system the temperature may differ considerably in different areas of the vivarium, so make sure that you take several readings. Although temperatures may be a litle bit higher then intended closer to the lid, they remain very cool at ground level, where most hiding spots, water and food sources are anyway. I guess this mimics summer reality in the wild anyway: air temperature rises and sallies seek cool and moist spots to hang out on.

hope this helps, although on a temporary basis.
W

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back