At what age do canabalism stop?

D

DingoDoo

At what age do they stop attacking/eating each other? mine is 3 months old now. Cant say i seen they attempt canabilism on each other but curious as to what age they start and stop?

At what age do they stop attacking/eating each other? mine is 3 months old now. Cant say i seen they attempt canabilism on each other but curious as to what age they start and stop?
Canabalism begins once the axoltls hatch since they can't see very well and when they hatch can only eat through site. Canabalism never really ends in axolotls the chances are just reducesed when they are older as they hunt with smell as well as site but you still hear about peoples axies having there arm piten of by there tank mates especaily in the sick indured section of this forum.
Sam:happy:

I could be wrong, but I have heard once they are 4-5 inches as long as there is a lot of space they should be ok to house together... However if they have been kept together and have been cannibalizing each other it may continue to act that way because its a learned trait....

I could be wrong but thats what I have read.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have very little personal experience of axolotls, but an old book I have says that axolotls will attack each other until they're up to 20cm long. It says that 'animals of 18 to 19cm are especially aggresive".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back