Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Fungus, or something else?

axolotlsarecool

Reaction score
Recently, my axolotl laid eggs (Hooray!). However, she only laid ariund 100, which I understand is not a lot. In addition to this, now one of her gills seems to be turning white. So far, it is a third of the way down the gill. I have dealt with fungus before. (This same axolotl had some) But this does not really look like a fungus. There looks to be no growth of any sort, just the gill is a paper- white. I tried moving her around to see if this would start the blood moving, but there was no success. I decided to quarantine her just to be safe. I really am not sure what to do, or what to diagnose it as. She is still eating

Whoever helps, thank you!

Axolotlsarecool

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tested your water hardness? A member recently had this issue as well, and it was due to his having very soft water.

What are your other tank parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? What size tank do you have? What kind of substrate? How warm is your tank? What do you feed your axolotls?

axolotlsarecool

Reaction score
Well, it is a 55 gallon tank. She has two partners, a male and another female. The temperature is around 68 degrees Fahrenheit. There are semi-large rocks on the bottom with live and plastic plants. However, the majority of the bottom of the tank is just glass. They are being fed live nightcrawlers. As far as the nitrates and hardness go, I have no test kit, but I know that my water is harder than normal already, and I have a filter, so the nitrates should be low.

axolotlsarecool

Reaction score
Everything is better now. I'm not really sure what happened. It may have been the water in the one quarantine tank. Either way, I am going to test my water to see is I can improve it.
Thanks for the help
-axolotlsarecool

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1