Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axie naming

TheNewt

Reaction score
I currently have 2 "teenage" axies 1 wild type and the other's leucistic, I haven't got a clue as to their genders. I also have 2 leucistics that are about 7 cm long (He says having just got down on his hands and kness with the smallest ruler he could find :eek:).
They all very much have their own personalities but I'm not at all good at coming up with names (sad I know :eek:).
I was wondering if any of the other members could give me some ideas/suggestions, all I seem to come up with are cheesy/obvious names.
Can anyone help?
Also thank you for taking the time to read all my ramblings :happy:

AlissaMae

Reaction score
Haha. Well.. I ended up naming mine Zephyr. It means fast wind.. and if you've seen how fast they move, you'll understand why! haha..

Other names I thought of.. Mew... lol.. like the pokemon. Kinda look a like..

Requiem. Unique word that I liked...

Viscose.. something to do with liquids moving over liquids.. kind of forgot..Still a cool word though...

ANnnnnnnnnnd Saturn.... Because their gills remind me of the planet. Lol

Hopefully these will get your creative juices flowing... =]

Let me know you're final decision!

mamatoulouse

Reaction score
I don't have any axolotls but I am about to get 3 I plan on naming them Spencer Dexter and Felix . Well That's what I am thinking or maybe falcor toothless and draco

Loobylou

Reaction score
Ask some kids! My 4 year old comes up with the weirdest names. He made me write a list the other day of names he would like to use and it included Android, Merzon and Shadow. His 6 year old brother has a fish called Harry Hula-hoop. We've had a cat called Cordelia, and when she passed away we got 2 more which are called Spike-a-saurus and Gobby.

Our new axolotl was named by my bf who called him Axel... I should have asked the kids first!

TheNewt

Reaction score
I'd like to saw a MASSIVE thank you to everyone who commented, as my collection havs VASTLY grown, I'll be using pretty much all of those names. Thanks again guys :proud: Feel free however to keep the names coming as I can't help but come across more amphibs, very much been bitten by the bug :D

HeatherFeather

Reaction score
I named mine Artemis and Poseidon, after Greek gods! If you google Greek gods, the wikipedia page has an endless list of awesome names to use.

AlissaMae

Reaction score
haha.
I've had a tarantula named Apollo..
A cat named Artemis..
Dog named Banshee
Other dog named Echo
Two snakes.. Eywa and Kaa (Kaa is the snake from the jungle book ) =]

And a random cat named Doctor Watson... because she had a moustache.

Lol
Names are so much fun =]

ACEPHONECHIC

Reaction score
Hi I have five Axolotls and my grandson helped me to name them. He is a chocoholic
The largest two are Galaxy and then Aero who has black freckle spots, Curly Wurly, Smartie and the slightly smaller one Mars. They all have different personalities and the names do well. Galaxy loves his tummy to be stroked( I am finding sexing them a problem even though saying he, they are now 12 months old) Aero is also very friendly and a lightning worm consummer. Curly Wurly and Smartie are very laided back but not as quiet as the largest two and Mars likes to dive around at speed especially when he is being caught to be cleaned out. Love them all to bits:happy:

mewsie

Reaction score
Other names I thought of.. Mew... lol.. like the pokemon. Kinda look a like..

That's a brilliant name ;)

I find naming them difficult, too. I originally had a name for a golden, but it someone ended up stuck with one of my first axies, a leucistic.

Now I actually HAVE my little golden and I can't think of a name. I wanted to call him Eddie, after the ships computer on the starship Heart of Gold (from the hitchhikers series) but Scott doesn't like it, and it didn't stick anyway!

Good luck naming your brood!

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've given up on naming mine. They never came when called, anyway! ;)

If pressed, I call them the names that most spring to mind after a water change:

"Hey You!"
"Stop That!"
and "Don't you Dare Uproot That!" (they get called this a lot).

ZoeT94

Reaction score
My leucistic is called pinky... and my wild-type is called Tyrone, because I allowed my 18 year old brother to name him...

I was going to call one Wooper, like the pokemon!

horsyqueen

Reaction score
i have names for my newts that repersent their looks like vert, spike, knife.
i do alot of nameing for horses cheker no uma, song of the river, lotus, song of the dead.
dancer of the ocean
river dancer
lord of the lake
sorry if mine are more horse show names.
foxy
oliver
river
painted
dancer
cheker

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1