Pill Bug info

Jackulwulf

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ok, so I'm looking into getting pill bugs and starting a culture to feed my tiger salamander. He's very picky and seems to only want to take superworms as a feeder but I don't want to feed him superworms because they aren't nutritious. Pill bugs seem to be nutritious from what I've heard.
So my question is, how nutritious are then and what kind of feeder could they be compared too? I've also read that they have a lot of chitin, so are they better or worse then superworms? If they are about the same then I'll consider using them. My tiger can handle superworms fine, I've never had a problem with him passing them.
Also I want to ask, pill bugs will roll into a ball when threatened, so how big do they get and how do they not roll into a ball when a salamander eats them and choke the salamander?

Thanks for reading and I'm hoping for a speedy reply.

isopods will be as nutrious as what you feed them, moreso than say a dusted cricket or a fatty grub feeder like waxworm. i have ispods in tank that i generally feed carrot and potato scraps but they eat just about anything. i usually have some supplement powder left when i shake a bag of crickets and i can pour the excess powder under a rock and they eat that.

from a culturing stand point i think you can compare isopods to roaches. they don't smell, make noise or bite. i'm not sure if they can climb glass since i use plastic tubs but they can climb most surfaces that have some traction so glass covered with dirt maybe. the only downside to isopods is that they don't grow large or fast.

pillbugs will ball up if threatened but they're not particularly quick so the snap of your salamander or movement towards it wont really trigger it. i doubt they will be a choking hazard think how salamanders deal with large earthworms!! if your concerned with them balling up you can consider other isopods like sowbugs/slaters heres some pics of different isopods
Order Isopoda - Isopods - BugGuide.Net
sowbugs tend to be alot quicker both in movement and breeding. the tend to grow bigger length wise and have less of an exoskeleton. i've never seen any my herps have a problem digesting them maybe rarely a small identifiable remnant of shell in feces if they eat a very large one.

if you plan on culturing them you should consider a worm compost too. you can keep them in the same tub and as long as the isopods have something like a rock, cardboard, bark or leaves to hide under at the surface. they'll eat the same garbage and you'll have the bonus of worm feeders too

Thank you very much for the info, its really helpful. The species I was actually looking at getting is Oniscus Ascellus, a type of sow bug. In any case they seem to be much better then superworms and easier to culture. I'll definitely look into getting a culture started.

As for the worm composting, well my tiger doesn't seem to like earthworms much so a worm compost would be a waste of time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back