Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aquascaping

larn

Reaction score
At the moment i am aquascaping for the axolotl tank, my idea is to make a natural underwater landscape, I'm using moss on everything, large rocks at the back which are like mountains, 2 caves, a tree and moss carpet which spans the entire front length.

I was inspired recently by this website 2010 AGA Aquascaping Contest

I was just wondering if anyone else has done something like this, or wants to..

iChris

Reaction score
I plan on doing some "axiescaping" somewhere down the line, but 3 things are stopping me, lack of time, a lack of suitable rocks and all the plants I have tried (minus ambulia) never seem to do well in m axie tank, and that includes java fern. I've also yet to find a aquarist tha stocks java moss.

I think it would be a challenge, my axies, one in particular is very messy, so maintaining it would be hard.

larn

Reaction score
I also didn't find it in any shops so i bought it on ebay, I'm only using java moss because i know most plants won't do well in low light conditions.

I am keeping my axolotls in a different tank while i set things up. That way I can increase the temperature and light levels to make it grow faster. When the lighting is turned off it will slow the growth down and actually this makes it easier to manage in the long run.

Getting hold of decent rocks and wood is not easy if you are on a tight budget as i am, but i have managed to get a few bits

I know axolotls can be very messy, so I am yet to see how hard it will be to maintain.

Loobylou

Reaction score
If you have a 'The Range' shop by you, I brought a load of driftwood from there for £1.99 a piece... and some of the pieces were quite large. I also went to the local tip yesterday and brought a 3 foot tank for £4. I didn't quite realise how big it was until I took it home and the bf and I looked very silly carrying it all the way through town. The bus driver wouldn't let us on the bus with it either :(

ax

Reaction score
loobylou, £4 for that size tank?! i should go to the tip more often :)
by the way some of the tanks on that website are crazy, so good!
Let us know how it goes.. sounds like its gonna be good

larn

Reaction score
I haven't heard of 'the range shop' i think you can get lucky sometimes, i found a large back of rocks in B&Q for 50p and have been using those to make caves and other things

that must of been a mission carrying a large tank all the way home :p

MereB

Reaction score
I was inspired recently by this website 2010 AGA Aquascaping Contest
:rofl: it's hard NOT to get inspired but the AGA contest... and others like it ;).
I do plan on doing something kind of grassy hillside with caves built in when I can find all the bits I need but it's taking some time :rolleyes: it's not the plants that are holding me up though :lol:
kind of like the winner of the 70L to 200L section best of show as it turns out but with at least one more cave and more sand for walking on at the front. Well that's the plan anyway ;)

Loobylou

Reaction score
loobylou, £4 for that size tank?! i should go to the tip more often :)

When I went down there I found out that they'd sold a 5ft x 2ft tank the week before for £10!

And our local tip isn't allowed to sell electronics so we had to take the heater, filter and lights out before we brought it. Luckily she didn't notice us picking up the lights again on the way back out :D

It's a shame that the tip is 1 1/2 miles away from our house, we managed to take the 3 footer home but I doubt we'll be able to carry anything bigger.

emz

Reaction score
I have been looking through all the amazing aquascapes too but cant pull much off in my 60cm tank unfortunatly. They look great especially the grass i would like to try a small area of that. Im currently waiting for some netting to arrive as im going to try and cover a pvc pipe with moss.

rasputin

Reaction score
Some of them are amazing!

We are getting bigger tank for Rasputin and Aristoltyl soon so will try and replicate something similar when we do.

I shall have to keep my eye out at the local tip, £4 is so cheap! Most of the people on Gumtree want around £50.

I will post pics when the tank is bought and completed!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1