Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Rough fire bellied newt

TheNewt

Reaction score
I ordered some newts online, the sort of place that label dwarf clawed frogs as "brown frogs". The animals all arrived safe and well but one of the species I ordered was labelled as a "rough fire bellied newt". I've spent hours looking online for a refference or latin name and come up with nothing.
It may be helpful if I describe what they look like, 11cms long with an orange ridge running down their spines, their base colour (on their backs is mottled brown/dark green). They have black bellies with orange spots.
Any ideas guys?
I'm currnetly treating them as fire bellies, i.e aquatic with plants and a land area (quarantine set-up at present) and feeding them defrosted blood worms.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :happy:
To the Mods I'm very sorry if this is in the wrong section but didn't know where else to put it and really need some help. Thanks :happy:

TheNewt

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff, Bookmarked that one :happy:
Turns out they're Chinese Warty newts aka Godzilla newt. sp. Paramesotriton chinensis.
You're a life saver Thank you so much!

Caudata Culture Species Database - Salamandridae

Check the photos under the Genus Paramesotriton and/or Cynops. Based on your description, I'd guess Paramesotriton chinensis, but without a picture, it's hard to say.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!