Filters- on all the time?

aeviette

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just set my tank up (ready for my axie! Eeee!) and my filter is flipping loud. Does it need to be on all the time? How about if I had it off at night and checked the water a LOT?

I think it could damage the bacteria in the sponge being starved all night also it could stress the axies in the tank, I advice that you get a quiter filter. Remember axies don't like strong current.
Any more questions feel free to ask.
Sam:happy:

Swap it for a sponge filter, then just have a quiet air pump hey presto near silence, a clock is louder! :D also - no heat from the filter no break down faults unless the air pump breaks (cheaper too in most circumstances)

Also if you turn your filter on and off, it isnt really doing anything, it sucks up the nasty then you blast it back out 6 hours later :(

You need your filter running constant for the cycle, so the waste produced by the axolotl's can get transfered into not as bad stuff. <--- this of course is VERY simple :)

do no turn off your filter overnight, especially if it is a canister filter. the bacteria will go stale and become toxic -- ready to be released into the tank once it is turned on again.

filter's aren't supposed to be loud. what filter is it? is there any damage with the impeller? cracks in the intake?
or is it the water splashing that is loud?

and as sam said, this can stress the axies,

you imagine if your in a paddling pool all relaxed no flow, then boom into a jaccouzi whirly pool thing. it would shock me enough ;) not meaning to be rude i couldnt really find a easier way to explain it haha

Thanks guys :) Stupidly I had the filter turned up to super filter power blast, and hadn't noticed- it's on a lower setting and is much quieter. I got a few filters with the tank (ebay) so I'm going to play around with them a bit.

Good point, thanks. This one seems good so I'm sticking with it :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back