Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

About to be getting axies soon wondering if i have everything i need

mamatoulouse

Reaction score
So i am supposed to be getting my axies tuesday....
this is what i have

tank,
nets,
food( trout worms, blood worms, red wrigglers),
tongs (giant tweezers),
food safe containers,
dechlorinater ,
thermometer,
hides,
filter,

i am gonna get a turkey baster
i can take the water to my work for free testing
salmon pellets hopefully they will arrive soon

is there anything else i should get before they arrive?
when i get them how long should i wait to offer food?

Aaran

Reaction score
maybe some spare tubs for cleaning time/seperation potentialy make a divider too perhaps, i know my big tank i might have to divide into 3 at this rate ^^

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
A camera :D so you can post lots of pretty pictures for us all to see.

And depending on how your summers are you might want to start planning for a chiller

Also, your picture... did you draw that? Cause its really pretty

mamatoulouse

Reaction score
i have a divider already but i was planning on using my food storage containers for fridging and cleaning time and plants and a camera
ita already summer and its running 93f my tank has been consistently 18c and that's with an internal filter that heats the tank a bit so i think we are all good... but i was planning on mounting a fan to blow at the water and replacing my internal power filter with a sponge to make it even cooler..

Alioth

Reaction score
Lots of luuuuuuuuuuuve :love:
I feel that you will be a very good mommey !

kclinton

Reaction score
Maybe some aquarium salt. In case you need to give a salt bath. Might want to get 2 turkey baster one for food one for poo.

D1rtyd33dz

Reaction score
I got my little guy shipped to me last week. I let him be for a couple hours then offered him bits of earthworms. He had never seen an earthworm, but after a couple of minutes he started to devour them.

mamatoulouse

Reaction score
i have aquarium salt... i will put 2 turkey basters on my list....
@d1rtyd33dz, where did you get them shipped from, who was the seller?

D1rtyd33dz

Reaction score
I ordered them from undergroundreptiles.com. I actually heard about them on these forums. You can also look them up on youtube, and see how they ship live animals. Also, a turkey baster is a must for axie poo:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1