Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Not sick exactly but a health question...

nudibranch

Reaction score
I have an adult wild-coloured axolotl. He lives in a 24" planted aquarium, sand substrate, well filtered (spraybar) with various rocks, pebbles and plant pots. He eats well and has a diet of earthworms, freshwater shrimp, bloodworm pellets and salmon pellets plus the odd defrosted prawn.

About a year ago (he's about 5 or 6) I noticed a small greenish patch on his head. It's about the same size as his eye, but to one side above the nostrils, and looks like lichen or algae... I know they're not the most energetic creatures but I've never heard of algae actually growing on them before! It hasn't got any bigger, and he's otherwise happy and healthy, but I've been wondering what it might be and if it needs treating. All suggestions most welcome...

MereB

Reaction score
Are you sure it's ON him and not just a change in skin Pigment. My wild guy developed a greeish patch on his head a short while after I got him and it is definitely pigment. Looks just like you described.
If it's algae, it would be very odd if it was, you should be able to remove some if not all of it with a q-tip/cotton bud. I suspect though that the whole tank would go a disgusting shade of green before it started to actually grow on the axie.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!